BoatBanter.com

-   -   transom seal (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/104205-transom-seal.html)

Clark April 17th 09 07:09 PM

transom seal

1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

MMC April 19th 09 11:15 PM

transom seal

"clark" wrote in message
1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

Might ask around rec.boats or search for the owners groups on google and
yahoo.

Brian Whatcott April 20th 09 01:30 AM

transom seal

clark wrote:
1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

It was four or five years ago that I did an overhaul on a 120HP
evinrude outdrive.

I referred to stripping notes which weren't hard to come by, and found a
generic parts outfit for the concertina and various seals via google.
I took off the lower drive with the shift in the correct position,
then removed the upper unit - which was a struggle - easy to mar a
mating surface if the unit has not been pulled regularly.
The spline drive has two shaft seals. If you get this far, you will see
what other seals keep the water out.

Brian W

Pirateer guy April 21st 09 06:06 PM

transom seal

First buy a manual here at Ken Cook.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/

I know it says outboard books but they have manuals for every marine
engine you can think of.

Brian Cleverly April 21st 09 11:40 PM

transom seal

Pirateer guy wrote:
First buy a manual here at Ken Cook.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/

I know it says outboard books but they have manuals for every marine
engine you can think of.

Really ?

I can't find any reference to:

Yanmar
Westerbeke
Universal
Beta Marine
Atomic 4
Perkins
Pisces

to name just a few...

Brian C

Pirateer guy April 23rd 09 01:16 AM

transom seal

Yeah, I knew that comming, but I figured he never heard of any of
them.
I should have just said, read the book!