posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default transom seal

clark wrote:
1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

It was four or five years ago that I did an overhaul on a 120HP
evinrude outdrive.

I referred to stripping notes which weren't hard to come by, and found a
generic parts outfit for the concertina and various seals via google.
I took off the lower drive with the shift in the correct position,
then removed the upper unit - which was a struggle - easy to mar a
mating surface if the unit has not been pulled regularly.
The spline drive has two shaft seals. If you get this far, you will see
what other seals keep the water out.

Brian W