KJEJ Harris

Default PSS Shaft Seal

Hi,

I was at a boat show last week and one of the vendors was offering a
dripless shaft seal.
The web address is http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=1

Has anyone had any experience with these either good or bad

Thanks

Kevin

Jr Gilbreath

Hi Kevin
I have had one for two years and love it. I think is well worth the
money.

JR Gilbreath
S/V Savannah Daydreamin

KJEJ Harris wrote:

Hi,

I was at a boat show last week and one of the vendors was offering a
dripless shaft seal.
The web address is http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=1

Has anyone had any experience with these either good or bad

Thanks

Kevin

Steven Dubnoff

I have had these on two boats. They work as advertised. You do need
to maintain the rubber boot and make sure it stays on. If they fail,
they can fail catastrophically.

Best,

Steve

Leanne

"KJEJ Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

I was at a boat show last week and one of the vendors was

offering a
dripless shaft seal.
The web address is

http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=1

Has anyone had any experience with these either good or bad

Kevin, we have had one for three years now and love it.
Especially not having to hang upside down or draped over the
engine to adjust the stuffing box. Having the dry sump is
another advantage.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Larry W4CSC

"Leanne" wrote in :

Especially not having to hang upside down or draped over the
engine to adjust the stuffing box.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

God, I'm gonna have nightmares, tonight!

(c;

Evan Gatehouse

KJEJ Harris wrote:
Hi,

I was at a boat show last week and one of the vendors was offering a
dripless shaft seal.
The web address is http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=1

Has anyone had any experience with these either good or bad

Thanks

Kevin

They are pretty well regarded. Practical Sailor gave them a thumbs
up. Face seals like the PYI are more tolerant of problems than lip
seals that other types use.

Evan Gatehouse
R.W. Behan

Add my name to the list of enthusiastic PSS users. A dry bilge means a dry
boat (no dampness, mildewing, etc.) and a sweet smelling boat. A truly
worthy advance in design. One word of caution. Some boats (like ours, a
Lord Nelson Victory Tug) have the stuffing box casting designed and located
to serve as an intermediate shaft bearing, with a long hose running aft to
the shaft log. If this is the case, it is imperative to leave the casting
in place, removing only the packing gland and locknut, and installing the
PSS directly on the threads at the front of the casting. You can tell if
the casting functions as a bearing if it is fixed rigidly to the hull with a
bearing hanger or some other similar device. It will also have a hose
injecting cooling water into the casting. If your stuffing box fixture does
function as a bearing, do NOT remove the whole casting and install the PSS
on the shaft log instead. You will generate shaft lash that will cause the
PSS to leak like crazy, and perhaps damage or destroy the bellows. That will
sink your boat.

Otherwise, a fine piece of equipment.

Dick B.
LNVT "Annie"

"KJEJ Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

I was at a boat show last week and one of the vendors was offering a
dripless shaft seal.
The web address is http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=1

Has anyone had any experience with these either good or bad

Thanks

Kevin

Wayne.B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:57:49 -0800, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

You will generate shaft lash that will cause the
PSS to leak like crazy, and perhaps damage or destroy the bellows. That will
sink your boat.

===================================

And that is precisely why I will not install another one on a boat
that I own. I installed a Lasdrop on one of my old sailboats and it
preformed exactly as advertised but I was appalled at the relative
fragility of the unit compared to an old fashioned shaft log.

I have a PSS seal on my boat and you can add me to the list proponents.

I did have a porblem with shaft vibration when I first bought the boat
where the prop shaft flange was not centered on the Transmission
flange. The PSS seal never leaked a drop!!

The vigration and the shaft hitting the hull at certain RPMs was what
made me fix the porblem.

Matt