Brian McAloon

Default Dripless shaft seal

Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any modifications
need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.

Brian McAloon
S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
Pompano Beach, Florida.

Capt. Mooron

I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing box with
a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm I'm
lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the shaft is
not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to inspect for
wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you couldn't even
tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been installed
new since 1993.

CM

"Brian McAloon" wrote in message
. ..
| Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
modifications
| need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
|

| Brian McAloon
| S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
| Pompano Beach, Florida.

Rick

Brian McAloon wrote:

Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any modifications
need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.

Installed a PYI dripless in a lobster boat last year. Simple
installation, works great.

You do need to remove the coupling half from the shaft to install it though.

Rick

The_navigator©

Pump teflon? Riiiiiiight.

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:

I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing box with
a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm I'm
lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the shaft is
not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to inspect for
wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you couldn't even
tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been installed
new since 1993.

CM

"Brian McAloon" wrote in message
. ..
| Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
modifications
| need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
|

| Brian McAloon
| S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
| Pompano Beach, Florida.

SAIL LOCO

A dripless seal may sound apealing but when they fail you have a lot of water
coming in. Kinda hard for a regular stuffing box to fail. They just start
leaking in drops and you either tighten them up or replace the packing.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Capt. Mooron

Teflon grease.... my apologies for not taking your obvious lack of
intellect into consideration. I'll try harder next time to remind myself to
write at a level you can comprehend... ;-)

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| Pump teflon? Riiiiiiight.
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing box
with
| a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm I'm
| lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the shaft
is
| not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to inspect
for
| wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you couldn't
even
| tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been
installed
| new since 1993.
|
| CM
|
| "Brian McAloon" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
| modifications
| | need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
| |
| |
| | Brian McAloon
| | S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
| | Pompano Beach, Florida.
| |
| |

The_navigator©

You mean teflon-containg grease -right? You don't think the grease is
made from teflon do ya? The imprecision in you words is matched only by
that of your thinking.

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Teflon grease.... my apologies for not taking your obvious lack of
intellect into consideration. I'll try harder next time to remind myself to
write at a level you can comprehend... ;-)

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| Pump teflon? Riiiiiiight.
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing box
with
| a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm I'm
| lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the shaft
is
| not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to inspect
for
| wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you couldn't
even
| tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been
installed
| new since 1993.
|
| CM
|
| "Brian McAloon" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
| modifications
| | need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
| |
| |
| | Brian McAloon
| | S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
| | Pompano Beach, Florida.
| |
| |

Capt. Mooron

That's right MC... and grease isn't really made from turkey fat.

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| You mean teflon-containg grease -right? You don't think the grease is
| made from teflon do ya? The imprecision in you words is matched only by
| that of your thinking.
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| Teflon grease.... my apologies for not taking your obvious lack of
| intellect into consideration. I'll try harder next time to remind myself
| write at a level you can comprehend... ;-)
|
| CM
|
| "The_navigator©" wrote in message
| | Pump teflon? Riiiiiiight.
| |
| | Cheers MC
| |
| | Capt. Mooron wrote:
| |
| | I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing
box
| with
| | a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm
I'm
| | lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the
shaft
| is
| | not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to
inspect
| for
| | wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you
couldn't
| even
| | tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been
| installed
| | new since 1993.
| |
| | CM
| |
| | "Brian McAloon" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | | Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
| | modifications
| | | need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
| | |
| | |
| | | Brian McAloon
| | | S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI
| | | Pompano Beach, Florida.
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Horvath

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:33:05 -0400, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote this crap:

That's right MC... and grease isn't really made from turkey fat.

The grease my beautiful female fiance an I use is made from corn oil.

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.
The_navigator©

WoooooHooooooo! I suppose you know what it's composition really is?

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:

That's right MC... and grease isn't really made from turkey fat.

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| You mean teflon-containg grease -right? You don't think the grease is
| made from teflon do ya? The imprecision in you words is matched only by
| that of your thinking.
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| Teflon grease.... my apologies for not taking your obvious lack of
| intellect into consideration. I'll try harder next time to remind myself
| write at a level you can comprehend... ;-)
|
| CM
|
| "The_navigator©" wrote in message
| | Pump teflon? Riiiiiiight.
| |
| | Cheers MC
| |
| | Capt. Mooron wrote:
| |
| | I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing
box
| with
| | a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm
I'm
| | lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the
shaft
| is
| | not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to
inspect
| for
| | wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you
couldn't
| even
| | tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been
| installed
| | new since 1993.
| |
| | CM
| |
| | "Brian McAloon" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | | Has any gone to a dripless shaft seal from the drip type. Any
| | modifications
| | | need to be made to the shaft or opening or is it pretty simple.
| | |
| | |
| | | Brian McAloon
| | | S/V CLIODHNA M28 OI