Capt. Mooron

Default Dripless shaft seal

I don't know if that is really required. I use a standard stuffing box with
a grease nipple installed and pump Teflon into it. Even at 2500 rpm I'm
lucky to get a drip every minute or so. None gets through when the shaft is
not turning. I've removed the rudder and extracted the shaft to inspect for
wear last year... nothing. Once the shaft was wiped clean you couldn't even
tell where the stuffing box seal was located. The shaft has been installed
new since 1993.

CM

. ..