Default Seal Rescue 911...

Ok - not exactly, but close... :)

I went to a regional brunch meeting this morning to discuss the
upcoming regional salt water license proposal for New England to
comply with the Federal mandate. I was way early, so I rode out to
Watch Hill just to enjoy the scenery.

When I got out to the Light House, I noticed this a harbor seal on a
rock and it wasn't moving right - it was making all kinds of noise -
it looked like it was injured - sounded like it too. I wasn't wearing
the right kind of shoes to get out on the ice covered rocks to get a
closer look.

So, I called the Mystic Aquarium Stranded Animal Officer and reported
what I thought was a wounded or sick animal.

Two of their PhD interns rode out to meet me and (nice folks by the
way - the guy was from France and the gal was from Australia) and they
walked out on the rocks to get a closer look.

Turns out that the seal is one they've been looking for over the past
two weeks - it's name is Fred and he's lazy as all get out apparently.
They were afraid he might have gotten tangled up in one of the
draggers that rape and pillage the bottom fish in the area. Ok, that
last comment was an editorial comment - sorry. That "fish" the area.

Anyway, all was well with Fred and here's a picture.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...43868#29043868

I really wish I had my 300mm fixed length OM lens with me, but I
didn't so I had to hand hold the 200mm zoom - this was the best image
I got of Fred.

Also learned a lot about harbor seals from Andre' and Milinda - gave
me the whole run down on their behavior, what to look for - very
interesting and informative.

Pretty cool morning.

The meeting sucked because, just like wrecked.boats, everybody has an
opposing opinion, but I kept my mouth shut for once and just listened.
I think we're on the right track with the salt water license though -
at least the legislators are aware of the boundry problems in CT, NY,
RI, MA and NH which is a positive development and several of their
representatives brought up the subject which was also a positive
development.

Oh - on the way back home, I went back out to the Light House - Fred
picked up a buddy and they had moved over a couple of rocks to catch
some Zzzzz. :)

--

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

Steven Wright
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 6, 2:27*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
[...]

Anyway, all was well with Fred and here's a picture.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...43868#29043868

Fred Obama?

EZ-Loader trailer seal TC General 2 February 9th 07 03:12 AM
One scared seal... Ellen MacArthur ASA 2 February 4th 07 10:10 PM
PSS Shaft Seal KJEJ Harris Cruising 14 January 29th 05 04:27 AM
help! seal my windows. Stephen Scheiding Boat Building 2 September 24th 04 04:35 PM
OT - Think the seal was trying to mate? Simple Simon ASA 1 July 24th 03 11:33 PM