posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Single handed docking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:22:51 -0700, Bart

wrote:

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

I learned to dock the proper way. Motivated by a

completely
unreliable motor for the first six months I owned my last

boat, I
docked, often by myself, under sail. Got very good at it,

despite
punching a hole in the dock box and rapidly altering the

design of the
bow pulpit during the learning process.

I used to dock my smaller boat under sail. One time the
mainsail snagged a nail on a piling and ripped about 10
inches. other than that, no problems. ;o

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey Doug !

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Scotty" wrote:
Where are you now?

Canada, south eastern end of Lake Huron.

Basically we've been puttering along the edges of the

suburbs of
Toronto for the past two weeks, going thru a thing called

the Trent-
Severn Waterway.... it's sort of a Canadian version of the

Erie Canal,
only friendlier.

Cool! Enjoy, eh.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

I learned to dock the proper way. Motivated by a completely
unreliable motor for the first six months I owned my last boat, I
docked, often by myself, under sail. Got very good at it, despite
punching a hole in the dock box and rapidly altering the design of the
bow pulpit during the learning process.

Frank

It's the way to learn. We teach docking under sail alone in all of our
classes. For the larger boats, we leave the engine on in neutral so the
instructor has an "out" if the student looks like s/he is going to make a
major mistake.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Scotty" wrote:
Where are you now?

SBV

Canada, south eastern end of Lake Huron.

Basically we've been puttering along the edges of the suburbs of
Toronto for the past two weeks, going thru a thing called the Trent-
Severn Waterway.... it's sort of a Canadian version of the Erie Canal,
only friendlier.

Where are you headed, Doug? North Channel, possibly?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote:
Where are you headed, Doug? North Channel, possibly?

Yep; going thru the small boat channel in Georgian Bay first.

Unfortunately we only have about three weeks tops for this part of the
trip. It would be nice to spend a whole summer up here

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Maxprop" wrote:
Where are you headed, Doug? North Channel, possibly?

Yep; going thru the small boat channel in Georgian Bay first.

Unfortunately we only have about three weeks tops for this part of the
trip. It would be nice to spend a whole summer up here

Indeed. Great cruising, and the Canadians are terrific folks. We won't be
up there this year, but if you run into a Bayfield 40 ketch named Sapphire,
please say hello to Mike and Kathy for us. Good friends. They're on their
way to the Caribbean, but spending some time in the NC for a while. If they
offer you a gin and tonic, use caution--they're potent.

Max