posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Single handed docking

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

Ya think?

What I do is to enter the slip at dead slow (engine idling in forward)
about 1/2 knot of boat speed.

The speed to approach is very dependent on the boats rudder & prop,
and it's momentum. If 1/2 knot works for you, then I'm guessing you
have a good-sized rudder (balanced?) with a prop that puts a good
stream across it. Boats with smaller rudders or less effective prop
stream would need to go faster to keep control; and of course a
smaller prop and/or heavier boat needs to approach slower so as to be
able to STOP effectively.

then I set a stern spring and power
against it. if the spring is set in the right place,and you set the
rudder hard over to the other side from the spring, most boats will
sit parallel to the dock indefinitely, You wll need to experiment with
the location for your spring, about 1/3 forward from the stern works
well with my boat. This works well for me in most conditions, the only
time if fails is when I have a strongish wind (20kts) from the bow of
the boat.

Have you tried backing in under those conditions? Many sailboats that
are difficult (or impossible) to keep bow to the wind when maneuvering
will back up very docilely into it.

IMHO it's always worth while to practice different maneuvering
techniques, and to keep a sharp eye on other boaters who are doing a
good job with their boats. There is always more to learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King