BoatBanter.com

-   -   Single handed docking (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/84323-single-handed-docking.html)

Bart July 23rd 07 05:22 AM

Single handed docking

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Captain Cool July 23rd 07 05:58 AM

Single handed docking

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

The B00bspit method? Ram the dock or rock?

Cappy

Capt. JG July 23rd 07 06:07 AM

Single handed docking

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Untie your other hand... :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Horvath July 23rd 07 11:50 AM

Single handed docking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:07:57 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

Untie your other hand... :-)

Do you have to gay up every post?

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Scotty July 23rd 07 01:12 PM

Single handed docking

Use the auxiliary.

Scotty
ups.com...

Wilbur Hubbard July 23rd 07 06:00 PM

Single handed docking

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Shouldn't that be to dock "single handedly?" "Single handed" is an
adjective while "single handedly" is an adverb addressing the verb "to
dock."

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] July 23rd 07 06:12 PM

Single handed docking

On Jul 23, 1:00 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Shouldn't that be to dock "single handedly?" "Single handed" is an
adjective while "single handedly" is an adverb addressing the verb "to
dock."

Wilbur Hubbard

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

What I do is to enter the slip at dead slow (engine idling in forward)
about 1/2 knot of boat speed. then I set a stern spring and power
against it. if the spring is set in the right place,and you set the
rudder hard over to the other side from the spring, most boats will
sit parallel to the dock indefinitely, You wll need to experiment with
the location for your spring, about 1/3 forward from the stern works
well with my boat. This works well for me in most conditions, the only
time if fails is when I have a strongish wind (20kts) from the bow of
the boat.

Hope that helps.

Capt. JG July 23rd 07 07:03 PM

Single handed docking

wrote in message
oups.com...

troll removed

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

What I do is to enter the slip at dead slow (engine idling in forward)
about 1/2 knot of boat speed. then I set a stern spring and power
against it. if the spring is set in the right place,and you set the
rudder hard over to the other side from the spring, most boats will
sit parallel to the dock indefinitely, You wll need to experiment with
the location for your spring, about 1/3 forward from the stern works
well with my boat. This works well for me in most conditions, the only
time if fails is when I have a strongish wind (20kts) from the bow of
the boat.

Hope that helps.

That's what I do also, depending on whether or not I'm docking bow-first.
Mine seems to work best at about the mid-point of the boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

roger[_2_] July 23rd 07 09:07 PM

Single handed docking

On Jul 23, 12:22 am, Bart wrote:
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Use "spring lines" in your slip. I did this when I bought my first
boat and it took the sweat out of docking.

Horvath July 23rd 07 11:47 PM

Single handed docking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:03:07 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

That's what I do also, depending on whether or not I'm docking bow-first.

I prefer entering from the rear.

Must you gay up every post?

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.