Default Single Handed Anchoring off the bow

I have been intrigued by the discussion of anchoring -- especially the
thought of rigging an anchor so one can drop it off the bow from the
cockpit. Thinking about spin pole, cleats, hatches, etc., I wonder if
anyone has figured out the best ways to accomplish this maneuver with
the least risk. And how early in the game did they rig their anchor set
up.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Member

On Feb 17, 4:32 pm, Harlan Lachman wrote:
I have been intrigued by the discussion of anchoring -- especially the
thought of rigging an anchor so one can drop it off the bow from the
cockpit. Thinking about spin pole, cleats, hatches, etc., I wonder if
anyone has figured out the best ways to accomplish this maneuver with
the least risk. And how early in the game did they rig their anchor set
up.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

You just use a power windlass with a self dropping anchor with a up/
down switch at the helm.

harlanl wrote:
I wonder if
anyone has figured out the best ways to accomplish this maneuver with
the least risk.

Depends on the boat. Power, sail, small, large, in between. There's a
different "best" way for every boat but there's always a way.

And how early in the game did they rig their anchor set
up.

Pretty early. I guess when I first started single handing as a kid 40
years ago. But the idea was around a long time before me.

Rick

"capt.bill" wrote:
You just use a power windlass with a self dropping anchor with a up/
down switch at the helm.

Every self respecting 100' yacht should have one ;-)
Seriously though, on a small boat, say 25' or less, I've found a
windlass can be more trouble than it's worth.

Rick

"capt.bill11" wrote:
You just use a power windlass with a self dropping anchor with a up/
down switch at the helm.

Every self respecting 100' yacht should have one ;-)
Seriously though, on smallish boats, say 25' or less, I've found a
windlass to be more trouble than it's worth.

Rick

Member

On Feb 17, 6:27 pm, wrote:
"capt.bill11" wrote:
You just use a power windlass with a self dropping anchor with a up/
down switch at the helm.

Every self respecting 100' yacht should have one ;-)
Seriously though, on smallish boats, say 25' or less, I've found a
windlass to be more trouble than it's worth.

Rick

:-)

Nice to see someone get the joke without the need for a ":-)" all the
time.

Anchoring, being one of those things best done slowly and delibertly, is one
of the easiest single handed maneuvers. When I read posts about how to
avoid rushing around and minimizing risk it makes me think the issue is one
of the overall approach to single handing and vessel management and not of
dealing with ground tackle.

Getting the anchor up under sail in a tight anchorage is a bit more
difficult but not much.

Slow down, plan ahead, be able to anticipate how your vessel will act, and
you'll be surprised how easy everything is.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Anchoring, being one of those things best done slowly and delibertly,
is one of the easiest single handed maneuvers. When I read posts
about how to avoid rushing around and minimizing risk it makes me
think the issue is one of the overall approach to single handing and
vessel management and not of dealing with ground tackle.

Getting the anchor up under sail in a tight anchorage is a bit more
difficult but not much.

This is one of those things that's easier said than done. If you're in a
benign situation, then yes, it is easy. If you've got 20+ kts of wind and
other boats anchored too close, then it would be a huge challenge. What
happens if you drop the hook and it doesn't grab and you're being blown
onto another boat or a reef? In non-single-handed anchoring you'd have
one person at the wheel driving forward as the other person hauls the
anchor in. For a single handed operation I don't know the answer to this,
but it sure doesn't look like a good situation. It can be tense enough
with 2 people let alone 1. I've seen this happen and I've jumped in my
dinghy and offered to lend a hand.

Single handed operation is inherently more risky and that's especially true
when anchoring around other boats where mistakes can cause harm to others.

-- Geoff

"Geoff Schultz" wrote

This is one of those things that's easier said than done. If you're in a
benign situation, then yes, it is easy. If you've got 20+ kts of wind and
other boats anchored too close, then it would be a huge challenge.

There's your problem. Why are you anchoring right there?

Chances a pretty good that the anchor will take if there are enough boats
there to cause crowding. Most people don't know how to anchor and they
wouldn't be there if the bottom was poor. I'm trying to remember though the
name of the harbor that has a notorious big hard flat ledge right in the
middle. People come in, see that nice open spot left, and drag right down
into the other boats. This is one of the things I appreciate about having a
boat small enough that the ground tackle can be deployed by hand. I feel
for that first contact of the anchor with the bottom. If it's rock, you can
feel the "tink" right up the line and start working on Plan B right away.
You can even feel the flukes going through thick grass or weed if you pay
attention.

There's a good passage somewhere in the Patrick O'brian books about the mate
standing for twelve hours with his hand on the anchor cable while the ship
is anchored in a deep and dangerous spot.

Single handed operation is inherently more risky and that's especially
true
when anchoring around other boats where mistakes can cause harm to others.

Yes, but it can be done as safely as most multi handed operation is usually
performed.

BTW having someone motoring ahead as an anchor is hauled in is very risky if
it is being handled by hand. Even if you have a windlass, it's hard on the
topside paint.

-- Geoff

First and foremost, as Roger Long said:
Slow down, plan ahead, be able to anticipate how your vessel will act,
and
you'll be surprised how easy everything is.

That's good and accurate advice in any and all cases, even with a
"crew" on board.

Single-handed a lot, including 'Final Step', a high windage Coronado
35. No windlass. To answer Harlan's question, a lot of times I ran the
rode, from the bowsprit roller mounted anchor, back and over the
main's winch on the mast to one of the cockpit winches. Now the
Coronado is a flush-deck center cockpit, so the rode wasn't touching
anything except the two winches. Mostly this was for raising - just
winch it up all the way.

To drop it was mostly get set up, turn into the wind, engage autopilot
(if not already), release main, mizzen and jib sheets if under sail or
throttle back and neutral if under power at the proper time (Roger's
anticipate your vessel), calmly walk forward and drop at the proper
time. Use the wait to lower jib, etc., keeping an eye on things.

Now, if conditions are a bit rough. If under sail drop main at some
convenient point before anchorage and enter under jib and mizzen. Drop
jib while "coasting" to anchor spot (not always possible). Drop mizzen
after it's all done. Or... Crank up the engine and drop all sails at
convenient point before anchorage if really, really rough and or
really, really crowded.

How early in the game to get set up? Before you get in tight quarters
at the latest. Set up as much as possible at all times. Just like have
your bow and stern lines run back and coiled at the cockpit _before_
you hit the first channel bouy if going in to a dock. That way you can
pull up to the dock, grab both lines and step onto the dock. No
running about, watching the stern swing out, etc.

Rick