Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Single Handed Anchoring off the bow

"Geoff Schultz" wrote

This is one of those things that's easier said than done. If you're in a
benign situation, then yes, it is easy. If you've got 20+ kts of wind and
other boats anchored too close, then it would be a huge challenge.

There's your problem. Why are you anchoring right there?

Chances a pretty good that the anchor will take if there are enough boats
there to cause crowding. Most people don't know how to anchor and they
wouldn't be there if the bottom was poor. I'm trying to remember though the
name of the harbor that has a notorious big hard flat ledge right in the
middle. People come in, see that nice open spot left, and drag right down
into the other boats. This is one of the things I appreciate about having a
boat small enough that the ground tackle can be deployed by hand. I feel
for that first contact of the anchor with the bottom. If it's rock, you can
feel the "tink" right up the line and start working on Plan B right away.
You can even feel the flukes going through thick grass or weed if you pay
attention.

There's a good passage somewhere in the Patrick O'brian books about the mate
standing for twelve hours with his hand on the anchor cable while the ship
is anchored in a deep and dangerous spot.

Single handed operation is inherently more risky and that's especially
true
when anchoring around other boats where mistakes can cause harm to others.

Yes, but it can be done as safely as most multi handed operation is usually
performed.

BTW having someone motoring ahead as an anchor is hauled in is very risky if
it is being handled by hand. Even if you have a windlass, it's hard on the
topside paint.

-- Geoff