Mike Mc

Default Recommend a low priced single handed dinghy ?

I am new to sailing and want a sailing dinghy for my first boat.

I am specifically after a boat that can be sailed single handed. Preferably
one that is NOT made of wood so it is easier to look after. It must be light
and easily transportable as I want to take it around the country (UK). I
must also be able to get it in and out of the water myself if necessary.

It would be nice to have a boat where I could take at least one passenger,
but this isn't vital. A boat that is also fast would be nice, but again it
isnt critical.

I know I am not asking for much but can anyone suggest some sailing
dinghys that would fit the bill please?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Jonathan Ganz

There are lots to choose from... not sure if it's available in the UK,
but the windrider trimaran series are fun, fast, safe. I used to own
one.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Mike Mc" wrote in message
I am new to sailing and want a sailing dinghy for my first boat.

I am specifically after a boat that can be sailed single handed.

Preferably
one that is NOT made of wood so it is easier to look after. It must be

light
and easily transportable as I want to take it around the country (UK). I
must also be able to get it in and out of the water myself if necessary.

It would be nice to have a boat where I could take at least one passenger,
but this isn't vital. A boat that is also fast would be nice, but again it
isnt critical.

I know I am not asking for much but can anyone suggest some sailing
dinghys that would fit the bill please?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

DSK

Mike Mc wrote:
I am new to sailing and want a sailing dinghy for my first boat.

I am specifically after a boat that can be sailed single handed. Preferably
one that is NOT made of wood so it is easier to look after. It must be light
and easily transportable as I want to take it around the country (UK). I
must also be able to get it in and out of the water myself if necessary.

It would be nice to have a boat where I could take at least one passenger,
but this isn't vital. A boat that is also fast would be nice, but again it
isnt critical.

I know I am not asking for much but can anyone suggest some sailing
dinghys that would fit the bill please?

I'd take a look at a Merlin-Rocket. A little small for two, and might be
a handful for one until you get the feel for it, but it's fast & light.
http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/old%20gallery.htm

Or a Tasar might be good.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/raspencer/index.html

The best way to approach might be to go to a local sailing club and hang
around a while. See if you can talk to a few people, often it is
possible to get a place as crew for an afternoon. Nothing like trying it
for yourself to see if you a particular boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails

JY14

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Mike Mc

?

"katysails" wrote in message
JY14

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

sv \Sensoria\

If you are in England try http://www.solosailing.org.uk/index.asp

I own one and love it.....only wish I could find another in Nova Scotia to
match race......

Tomek

"Mike Mc" wrote in message
I am new to sailing and want a sailing dinghy for my first boat.

I am specifically after a boat that can be sailed single handed.

Preferably
one that is NOT made of wood so it is easier to look after. It must be

light
and easily transportable as I want to take it around the country (UK). I
must also be able to get it in and out of the water myself if necessary.

It would be nice to have a boat where I could take at least one passenger,
but this isn't vital. A boat that is also fast would be nice, but again it
isnt critical.

I know I am not asking for much but can anyone suggest some sailing
dinghys that would fit the bill please?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Walt

"katysails" wrote

JY14

Mike Mc wrote:

?

I think she means a JY15, from JY Sailboats (now absorbed by Hunter)
http://www.huntermarine.com/models/jy15/index.html

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a JY15 for solo sailing. They capsize
quite readily and are nearly impossible to right with one person. (But
they can be a lot of fun.)

If you're sailing solo you want to be self-sufficient. A small sailboat
*will* capsize at some point. It's not a question of "if" it's a
question of "when". Make sure you can right it yourself, or have enough
people along to right it.

Most centerboard dinghys can be launched and retrieved with one person
with a trailer and launch ramp. (although it is convienent to have a
second pair of hands). Obviously a 12-footer is easier to deal with
than a 19 footer. Some boats are small and light enough to be
car-topped (i.e. Laser, Sunfish, Topper), but you'd probably want help
lifting it on and off the car.

BTW, "low price" would probably mean used, so you're going to be at the
mercy of whats available on the used market in your area.

Here's a couple of places to start your sailboat search. A good
introduction to the various dinghys that are out there.

http://www.sailboatsales.com/boats.htm
http://www.ruach.net/Dinghy.html

Good Luck.

--
//-Walt
//

OT- Ode to Immigration Harry Krause General 83 July 27th 04 06:37 PM
Dinghy Thief Apprehended in Mazatlan (long) mike ASA 24 May 6th 04 07:53 PM
Single Handed Flag?? Steve Cruising 32 January 8th 04 05:06 PM
Best Small boat/dingy for would be sailor jl General 5 August 21st 03 04:07 PM