DSK

Default Recommend a low priced single handed dinghy ?

Mike Mc wrote:
I am new to sailing and want a sailing dinghy for my first boat.

I am specifically after a boat that can be sailed single handed. Preferably
one that is NOT made of wood so it is easier to look after. It must be light
and easily transportable as I want to take it around the country (UK). I
must also be able to get it in and out of the water myself if necessary.

It would be nice to have a boat where I could take at least one passenger,
but this isn't vital. A boat that is also fast would be nice, but again it
isnt critical.

I know I am not asking for much but can anyone suggest some sailing
dinghys that would fit the bill please?

I'd take a look at a Merlin-Rocket. A little small for two, and might be
a handful for one until you get the feel for it, but it's fast & light.
http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/old%20gallery.htm

Or a Tasar might be good.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/raspencer/index.html

The best way to approach might be to go to a local sailing club and hang
around a while. See if you can talk to a few people, often it is
possible to get a place as crew for an afternoon. Nothing like trying it
for yourself to see if you a particular boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King