posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Single handed docking

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message
anews.com.

"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

Shouldn't that be to dock "single handedly?" "Single

handed" is an
adjective while "single handedly" is an adverb addressing

the verb "to
dock."

No. ''Single handed'' is a sailing term, I guess that's
what threw you.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. JG wrote, On 7/23/2007 2:03 PM:
wrote in message
oups.com...

troll removed

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

What I do is to enter the slip at dead slow (engine idling in forward)
about 1/2 knot of boat speed. then I set a stern spring and power
against it. if the spring is set in the right place,and you set the
rudder hard over to the other side from the spring, most boats will
sit parallel to the dock indefinitely, You wll need to experiment with
the location for your spring, about 1/3 forward from the stern works
well with my boat. This works well for me in most conditions, the only
time if fails is when I have a strongish wind (20kts) from the bow of
the boat.

Hope that helps.

That's what I do also, depending on whether or not I'm docking bow-first.
Mine seems to work best at about the mid-point of the boat.

With the cat I'm almost always at a face dock, sometimes with boats in
from and back. Although I can spin on a dime, move the boat sideways
is difficult, so I found I had to figure springs, especially when the
wind is off the dock.

My first line attached is a spring from the bow to a dock cleat about
amidship. To simplify this, I fed about 6 feet of flexible cable into
the center of a singlebraid dockline, forming an open loop. All I (or
any crew or bystander) has to do is loop it over the cleat, as it is
already secured on the boat at the proper length. Once done, I can
hold the boat against the dock even if the wind is blowing off at up
to 12 kts. Over that I can still get the boat close enough to snag
another cleat and haul it in. The biggest problem is convincing
"helpful" bystanders that all they have to do is loop the cleat; it
seems too simple!
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

"Scotty" wrote:
Use the auxiliary.

That works for me

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey Doug !

Where are you now?

SBV

wrote in message
oups.com..
..
"Bart" wrote
What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

"Scotty" wrote:
Use the auxiliary.

That works for me

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

it depends on the dock, the freeboard of your boat, whether docking
bow-to, or stern-to, etc.

Ya think?

What I do is to enter the slip at dead slow (engine idling in forward)
about 1/2 knot of boat speed.

The speed to approach is very dependent on the boats rudder & prop,
and it's momentum. If 1/2 knot works for you, then I'm guessing you
have a good-sized rudder (balanced?) with a prop that puts a good
stream across it. Boats with smaller rudders or less effective prop
stream would need to go faster to keep control; and of course a
smaller prop and/or heavier boat needs to approach slower so as to be
able to STOP effectively.

then I set a stern spring and power
against it. if the spring is set in the right place,and you set the
rudder hard over to the other side from the spring, most boats will
sit parallel to the dock indefinitely, You wll need to experiment with
the location for your spring, about 1/3 forward from the stern works
well with my boat. This works well for me in most conditions, the only
time if fails is when I have a strongish wind (20kts) from the bow of
the boat.

Have you tried backing in under those conditions? Many sailboats that
are difficult (or impossible) to keep bow to the wind when maneuvering
will back up very docilely into it.

IMHO it's always worth while to practice different maneuvering
techniques, and to keep a sharp eye on other boaters who are doing a
good job with their boats. There is always more to learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

. ..
wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried walking the cat to the dock? It's pretty easy to do with twin
engines, and wind off the dock unless quite strong shouldn't present any
problems. This involves using the outboard engine and inboard engine
alternatively without moving the helm (rudder to dock).

An alternative to walking if you have enough room (you don't need much) is
to dock stern to, put someone off, and have them walk the stern back
initially on what will be the dock side of the cat while you use the
outboard engine to power forward slightly. As soon as their able, cleat the
line, then help the cat back as you ease off on the outboard engine. You
might need to give the inboard engine something to help.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. JG wrote, On 7/23/2007 8:13 PM:

Have you tried walking the cat to the dock? It's pretty easy to do with twin
engines, and wind off the dock unless quite strong shouldn't present any
problems. This involves using the outboard engine and inboard engine
alternatively without moving the helm (rudder to dock).

Everyone asks me that. I've tried, and I've invited everyone to "show
me how its done" but it doesn't seem to work on my boat.

An alternative to walking if you have enough room (you don't need much) is
to dock stern to, put someone off, and have them walk the stern back
initially on what will be the dock side of the cat while you use the
outboard engine to power forward slightly. As soon as their able, cleat the
line, then help the cat back as you ease off on the outboard engine. You
might need to give the inboard engine something to help.

I've thought about doing that, but I always felt strange bringing the
stern to. In fact, with my backstays going down to the waterline, I
really don't want to get the sterns near anything! The bows,
however, each have a stainless plate so I can easily hold the bows to
the dock all day. The original plan for the "magic spring line" is
that I could bring it bow to, leave both engines in gear, walk up to
the bow and hook a cleat with the line, then back off and spin the
boat. This way I could singlehand dock the boat, even if there's a
boat ahead and behind (which I always had at my old marina) and the
wind is blowing off.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Capt. JG wrote, On 7/23/2007 8:13 PM:

Have you tried walking the cat to the dock? It's pretty easy to do with
twin engines, and wind off the dock unless quite strong shouldn't present
any problems. This involves using the outboard engine and inboard engine
alternatively without moving the helm (rudder to dock).

Everyone asks me that. I've tried, and I've invited everyone to "show me
how its done" but it doesn't seem to work on my boat.

I suppose that's possible. I've been able to do it very easily with the
Fountaine, Athena 38, and a Seawind 1000, but I've only been on a small PDQ
and didn't get a chance to try.

[...]

It is a bit strange, but it does let the person get off the boat without a
hassle. You could just put fenders lengthwise on the stern. I've done this
via the bow, and it works. You just keep it in light forward, go forward, do
your thing, then sort it out, right? I did this once, then someone showed me
why stern-to was easier with crew. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote:
Where are you now?

SBV

Canada, south eastern end of Lake Huron.

Basically we've been puttering along the edges of the suburbs of
Toronto for the past two weeks, going thru a thing called the Trent-
Severn Waterway.... it's sort of a Canadian version of the Erie Canal,
only friendlier.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:22:51 -0700, Bart
wrote:

What is the best way to dock singled handed?
[1 pt]

I learned to dock the proper way. Motivated by a completely
unreliable motor for the first six months I owned my last boat, I
docked, often by myself, under sail. Got very good at it, despite
punching a hole in the dock box and rapidly altering the design of the
bow pulpit during the learning process.

Frank