posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Funniest Post this Week!

And the WINNER IS.....

JEFF!!!! Here's the post about his PDQ 36.

"Of course, compared to other catamarans my boat is a beauty to almost
everyone's
eye."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Who's eyes? Other owner of butt ugly floating
radiators? I've never met anyone who thought Catamarans are good
looking compared to monohuls. Frankly, even a CS 27 looks better,
especially sailing!
The 35s5 won design awards. She's a modern design, but EVERYONE digs
her looks. Obviously the folks I beat up here will moan about her, but
they know she's a slick and fun boat. WAY more fun to sail than a PDQ
36 BTW, which is overall a much larger vessel.

The lovely, modern and quick 35s5....

http://www.marin.ru/ai/bareboat.133440/pics.1.jpg

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jul 20, 10:17 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
[...]

Just for reference:

http://www.2hulls.com/images/gallery...IIUNDERWAY.JPG

Not taking sides. I'm biased because the only cats I like are the old
ploynesean style sailing canoes. For modern boats I have to go Mono.
I prefer the more classic style with lots of wood and a gaff rig on a
schooner but they are not for everyone and take a lot more
maintanence. Just my opinion in this matter.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

For modern boats I have to go Mono.
I prefer the more classic style with lots of wood and a gaff rig on a
schooner but they are not for everyone and take a lot more
maintanence. Just my opinion in this matter.

I agree...gorgeous boats. For me, part of the sailing equation is also
the lines. A PDQ 36 really has no lines at all.
As for my 35s5, the worst thing anyone ever said actually seeing her
was "odd looking boat on the hook, nice looking under sail."
I tend to agree. Most people love the looks and go nuts over the
interior and cockpit.

http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

Still, my favorite boat along these lines in the quicker C&C 34XL.
Like most people who fall in love with the shape of boats, a boat like
the PDQ 36 would be a final stop before a trawler. Down the road a
boat like this will be mine:

http://www.alerionexpress.net/sitebu...33-Aerial2.jpg

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:57:33 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

[...]

Depends on how much you load the PDQ down. It's a faster boat than
most monohulls when kept light, and under most sea conditions more
comfortable. Cost more, which is the main reason most mono owners at
that length don't switch. To me most of the cats look as good as any
sloop, and they've been around long enough to have earned their sea
legs, so the old "traditional" askance look at them doesn't work well.
Ketches are prettier than both.
Condor tri's are pretty ugly, Corsairs less so, but a sailor wanting
to make daily distance see's them as beautiful under sail and making
a wake. My own opinions. Never sailed but once as crew.
What puzzles me, and really looks ridiculous is the wheel on the
Alerion 38 in this video.
http://www.alerionexpress.net/sitebu...iumquality.swf
What the hell is that 5 ' wheel all about?
Any of you salts know?

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 7/20/2007 1:17 PM:
And the WINNER IS.....

JEFF!!!! Here's the post about his PDQ 36.

"Of course, compared to other catamarans my boat is a beauty to almost
everyone's
eye."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Who's eyes? Other owner of butt ugly floating
radiators? I've never met anyone who thought Catamarans are good
looking compared to monohuls.

And monohulls count as "other catamarans"? We can only hope that
Thomas does not inherit your reading comprehension.

Of course, we didn't pick a cat because we thought it was better
looking than a monohull, we picked one for its speed, comfort, space,
safety. Within its genre, the PDQ is is rather sleek.

The purpose of a cruising cat is to carry a family long distances, and
our PDQ has served it purpose admirably, with 10000 miles on its log,
having taken us from Canada, Down East, down to Florida and back.
When guests come aboard they have their own stateroom, with a queen
size bunk. The cockpit seats a dozen, the foredeck has room for
volleyball.

She's a fast boat, and it has its speed with a rather modest amount of
sail. There's nothing like doing 12 knots under plain sail. Of
course, your only complaint is that it doesn't tip. I agree that
heeling over 30 degrees is fun for a few minutes, assuming your boat
is stripped out. But when you're living on board and traveling 100
miles a day, sailing fast and level is more fun.

Frankly, even a CS 27 looks better,
especially sailing!

The CS 27 is a better looking boat than your Bene.

The 35s5 won design awards.

From French interior designers?

Of course "awards" are a dime a dozen, especially for the large
companies (that is, major advertisers). PDQ got a chapter in "The
World's Best Sailboats." But more interesting, the PDQ 36 was
featured in Killing's "Yacht Design Explained" as the exemplar of its
class.

She's a modern design, but EVERYONE digs her looks.

That's a crock. Lots of people think its quite unattractive; in fact,
I've never heard it compared to any of the classic designs, such as a
Bristol. I think its a rather ugly boat, but I really dislike the
"bubble" look. My wife has refused to even go on board Bene's because
of their silly styling.

Obviously the folks I beat up here will moan about her, but
they know she's a slick and fun boat. WAY more fun to sail than a PDQ
36 BTW, which is overall a much larger vessel.

Duh! There are lots of smaller boats that are more fun to sail than
larger boats. 470's are lots of fun, especially to race. Too bad
you've never done that. Of course, our boat is faster than yours,
even upwind, so you can have "fun" while you're watching our transom
disappear over the horizon! Since you have no desire to go out of
sight of your slip, this question is really moot.

The lovely, modern and quick 35s5....

Lovely? For a Clorox bottle, maybe.

Quick? I suppose by your standards. Someday you should sail a really
fast boat.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'll be on a fast boat tomorrow, Jeff. And you'll be here posting.

Pics to be posted.

The 35s5 does not have the bubble look, by the way. In fact her trunk
is somewhat boxy. Later designs had the bubble look, such as the pic
you posted. But all are more fun to sail than your boat. I like the
"tip" comment since it highlights how little you understand foil
dynamics and what's really fun about heeling a well rounded keelboat.

I still don't know anyone in "real life" who finds the 35s5 ugly. But
Ted Hood certainly found the CS 27 horrific. I doubt you even know
what one looks like in person or you'd never make such a silly
comment. Of course you rarely make an honest comment anyway. Like the
one about your wife. Maybe she's as uneducated as you about boats.
Look out...this one is also "tipping!"

http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/...905/21-B43.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Of course, we didn't pick a cat because we thought it was better
looking than a monohull

And checkmate.

Thank you and goodnight. I'm off to "tippy" land!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
news

The purpose of a cruising cat is to carry a family long

distances, and
our PDQ has served it purpose admirably, with 10000 miles

on its log,

Bob will have 10000 miles on his log some day......in 2098.

But when you're living on board and traveling 100
miles a day, sailing fast and level is more fun.

But when you're 'styling' at the slip and traveling 1 mile
a day, sailing tilted is more fun, for some.

Lovely? For a Clorox bottle, maybe.

it's not a bad looking boat......compared to a Mac26X.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Jeff" wrote in message
news

The purpose of a cruising cat is to carry a family long

distances, and
our PDQ has served it purpose admirably, with 10000 miles

on its log,

Bob will have 10000 miles on his log some day......in 2098.

Think he'll still be able to read it when he's 134 years old?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 7/20/2007 5:58 PM:
I'll be on a fast boat tomorrow, Jeff. And you'll be here posting.

You're right, I probably won't be sailing tomorrow. I'll be
provisioning the boat for the next trip. After we take our daughter
to camp we're off for 4 weeks in Maine. And you'll still be jacking
off in LIS.

After Maine we'll do one more trip - Maybe P'town to do some more
whale watching. And you'll still be jacking off in LIS.

If all goes well we'll be onboard 8 or 9 weeks and log 1000 miles or
so this summer. And you'll do what, a few dozen one hour sails?

Pics to be posted.

Why bother? They're all the same.

The 35s5 does not have the bubble look, by the way. In fact her trunk
is somewhat boxy. Later designs had the bubble look, such as the pic
you posted. But all are more fun to sail than your boat. I like the
"tip" comment since it highlights how little you understand foil
dynamics and what's really fun about heeling a well rounded keelboat.

"Foil dynamics"? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Do you really think that
comment means anything??? You're sounding more like jaxy every day!

Why don't you tell us how much fun it is to do a few hundred miles
upwind in the open ocean? What's that? You say you've never been in
the open ocean? What - you've never been 100 miles from your slip?
Come back and tell us when you've been out there.

I still don't know anyone in "real life" .

We can believe that.

Funniest Thread! Capt. Rob ASA 72 January 21st 06 04:01 AM
Funniest line of the day.......... [email protected] General 5 May 17th 05 12:06 AM
You get the funniest things in the mail. John Cairns ASA 15 June 15th 04 03:49 AM
Funniest Headline So Far This Week Lawrence James General 2 March 23rd 04 02:12 AM