posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold clip to windward

You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Holy backpedal, Batman!!!!
Now jeff admits that a close reach is upwind and windward!!!! After
saying the 99% of all sailors only think windward is BEATING!!!!
OOOPs!!!!!

Now he's prattling on about VMG without even knowing the bouy we were
headed for or really any other details.
Good grief. I predict Jeff will blow a head gasket quite soon indeed.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow. GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark. Water is quite flat and the boat
is nicely in the groove, giving up very little. The fellow at the helm
has about 8 times more sailing experience than you. I asked what our
VMG was and he said about 6 knots. He was VERY impressed with the
35s5's windward performance. But he's not the only one. So is about
every review on the boat. She easily beats her polars. A French review
called her "the triumphant 35s5" and noted that they were also climbing
upwind with a VMG of over 5 and 1/2 knots. Heart of Gold's original
name was "Windward First" as her abilities to weather are well
established. Read the owner reviews if you like.
I don't know what to tell you, dude. You're obviously upset. I said we
made 6 knots and 8....hardly crazy numbers. I've seen monohuls do it
before and will again. Making 8 knots at 45 is hardly impossible, so 6
of VMG is also there. The problem is that you simply don't know what
upwind means. You "think" it means only beating and that's just not the
case.
Go take some pills, old man. You need 'em!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Holy backpedal, Batman!!!!

No backpedal by me, only by you.

Now jeff admits that a close reach is upwind and windward!!!! After
saying the 99% of all sailors only think windward is BEATING!!!!

I never said "windward" was "beating," I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating; certainly that is the
time it is most important. However, it does not mean going at the
precisely optimal angle, only that the best VMG is obtained at that
angle. Since your boat's best VMG to Windward is lower than 6 knots,
your point of sail is not meaningful - whatever it is, your VMG to
Windward was not 6 knots.

OOOPs!!!!!

You should change your pants after that, Bob.

Now he's prattling on about VMG without even knowing the bouy we were
headed for or really any other details.

One doesn't have to know. You specified "VMG to Windward" which only
means one thing.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

But again, this is all irrelevant. One doesn't have to see a picture
to know that its very unlikely that any 35s5 attained a VMG to
windward of 6 knots.

Ahhh. So NOW we're at "very unlikely." Progress, folks.
She's on a close reach. The main is spilling some air and needs to be
trimmed, but the boat is balancing okay and making excellent speed.
Moments later, Bob did trim the main.

And as usual, Jeff....while the rest of you tell bullcrap stories and
cry & bemoan that I sail so much more than you...I can also back up
even THAT trivial detail...as you see the main trimmed....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bobweby.jpg

Lordy, you MUST BE DYING!!!! Jeff, you've been decked, cleaned, fried
and served in a savory butter sauce. I truly appreciate the
entertainment you've given me!
G'night!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I never said "windward" was "beating," I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating; certainly that is the
time it is most important.

Holy super duper ultra fantastic BACKPEDAL, Robin!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What happened, Jeff? Did Doug alert you to what
windward really meant????

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating

More nonsense from Jeff. VMG to windward is measured from 1 degree
above a beam reach and higher all the way to the highest point of sail
possible. And THAT'S a fact.
Anyone want a slice of Jeff-Fish? It's a bit fishy, but just throw some
lemon on it!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!

Trollus magnus!

Is he the same one that was in "Billy Goats Gruff"?

What is your favorite color?

Green, no wait - blue!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What is your favorite color?

Green, no wait - blue!

None Shall PASS!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating

More nonsense from Jeff. VMG to windward is measured from 1 degree
above a beam reach and higher all the way to the highest point of sail
possible. And THAT'S a fact.
Anyone want a slice of Jeff-Fish? It's a bit fishy, but just throw some
lemon on it!

Yes, booby, I just said in the previous post that VMS's are listed for
every point of sailing. However, the highest VMG is always beating to
windward. And the highest that your boat has is well under 6 knots.
Thus, your claim of 6 knots is bogus.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
But again, this is all irrelevant. One doesn't have to see a picture
to know that its very unlikely that any 35s5 attained a VMG to
windward of 6 knots.

Ahhh. So NOW we're at "very unlikely." Progress, folks.
She's on a close reach. The main is spilling some air and needs to be
trimmed, but the boat is balancing okay and making excellent speed.
Moments later, Bob did trim the main.

So now you're claiming that you had a VMG to Windward of 6 knots while
you were on a close reach and spilling wind? And you don't realize
how stupid that sounds? What a Putz!

Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 9 October 4th 06 02:51 AM
Heart of Gold runs aground...and worse! Capt. Rob ASA 16 September 4th 06 09:25 PM
Heart of Gold Website-Updates Capt. Rob ASA 17 August 22nd 06 12:31 AM
Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 7 August 8th 06 11:36 PM
Heart of Gold and the Genset Capt. Rob ASA 18 August 6th 06 12:30 PM