posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Heart of Gold clip to windward

Capt. Rob wrote:
You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Holy backpedal, Batman!!!!

No backpedal by me, only by you.

Now jeff admits that a close reach is upwind and windward!!!! After
saying the 99% of all sailors only think windward is BEATING!!!!

I never said "windward" was "beating," I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating; certainly that is the
time it is most important. However, it does not mean going at the
precisely optimal angle, only that the best VMG is obtained at that
angle. Since your boat's best VMG to Windward is lower than 6 knots,
your point of sail is not meaningful - whatever it is, your VMG to
Windward was not 6 knots.

OOOPs!!!!!

You should change your pants after that, Bob.

Now he's prattling on about VMG without even knowing the bouy we were
headed for or really any other details.

One doesn't have to know. You specified "VMG to Windward" which only
means one thing.