BoatBanter.com

-   -   "Sea" of Michigan! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26401-%22sea%22-michigan.html)

Donal December 21st 04 11:15 PM

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
At least one picture is fake.

I have to admit that one or two surprised me.

Which one do you think is a fake?

Regards

Donal

Donal December 22nd 04 12:15 AM

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:12:45 -0000, "Donal"
scribbled thusly:

As always Oz, your logic is impeccable. I cannot disagree with you.

Now that's a change!
Xmas spirit?
Brown, white, red or bubbly?

Really! I thought that you Aussies were proper colonials! Don't you
understand sarcasm?

I am green with envy when I try to picture the standing ovation that you
must have received when you first used that argument at your university
debating society! Did you take a bow as the audience cheered?

I tend not to associate with those ******s.

Their hearts must be broken....

Do you think that those ******s would associate with a (rich / bent)
ex-copper?

Regards

Donal

katysails December 22nd 04 01:10 AM

Thom,
They are inland seas...they are categorized by many as inland seas...and
they do have tides...negligible perhaps, but they are there...so go have a
drink and calm down before you have a stroke...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Great Lakes:

They are Lakes! They are huge bodies of water! Bigger than a lot of
seas! Can be very tough in a bad weather! That doesn't make them
anything but a Lake.

They are not at sea level. They have no tides. The flow of water is
always in the same direction, The outlet is always the same. That is
because they are Lakes.

Why must they be classified as a Sea? They are Lakes. Lakes to be damn
proud of! They are superior Bodies of Water, with their own weather
systems. They have their own ship traveling commerce that is busier than
most seas in the world.
They are a wonder of nature as they are.
What have they to gain by being labelled a sea?

Ole Thom

katysails December 22nd 04 01:24 AM

This storm dumped a pile of boats off their cradles at the marina next door
to Crosswinds in Whitehall, MI:

http://www.msu.edu/~fujita/tornado/l...rr-report.html

An explanation fro U of M:
http://www.seismosoc.org/publication...l_69-5_eq.html

Make sure you read all of it:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/wxnow/pr...FNT.0312022331

Capt. Neal® December 22nd 04 02:25 AM

Idiots should have storm jib up and they'd have some control.

Fools are attempting to sail with main alone and cannot overcome
the weather helm with their silly little racing rudder and thin keel.

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:22:57 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

That's why one must sail off the wind and sail under
a small, balanced press of sail so one can maneuver
in such a way to avoid those breakers. They are not
mast height, btw. They are relatively small. Look
closely at the pictures. The really huge looking waves
are taken looking up from a transom when the bow
is in the trough . . .

CN

Cappy, it's very very obvious that you've never seen anything anywhere
like these waves.
You might like to look at this pic Cappy.
http://www.richardbennett.com.au/
Seas look calm, until you notice that the whole boat is being dragged
sideways by the wave that has just passed her....she's a 70footer!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Capt. Neal® December 22nd 04 02:27 AM

"katysails" wrote in message ...
Thom,
They are inland seas...they are categorized by many as inland seas...and
they do have tides...negligible perhaps, but they are there...so go have a
drink and calm down before you have a stroke...

Sounds to me like the old coot has already had a stroke, several perhaps.

CN

Nav December 22nd 04 03:03 AM

Capt. Neal® wrote:

Idiots should have storm jib up and they'd have some control.

Fools are attempting to sail with main alone and cannot overcome
the weather helm with their silly little racing rudder and thin keel.

LOL

Cheers

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:23 AM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Not so! Those huge waves have little effect upon a small
yacht under a reasonable press of sail to keep her stable.

This statement clearly demonstrates that you've never been in much of a
seaway in a small vessel, despite what you claim. Roll, controlled by sail
pressure, has very little to do with it. Pitch is the problem. It's like
riding a roller coaster--if one isn't belted in to a coaster, the odds of
flying out of the car are good. Same with a small vessel cresting waves and
then plummeting into the trough of steep, tall waves. And if the sea is
confused, no amount of wind pressure on the sails will stop a vessel from
rolling violently as well. Add that to the roller coaster effect and you've
got your basic Maytag dryer set on high.

Of course, in those conditions, the yacht will be sailing
off the wind so the period of the waves becomes longer.

The vessel will be sailing off the wind only if she is not attempting to
claw off and away from a lee shore. Of course then the issue of broaching
comes to the fore. Most yachts do best when running with steep waves while
towing lines or a sea anchor. Screaming into a trough on the diagonal is a
quick and dirty recipe for a broach.

The properly sailed small yacht will only be bothered
but the breakers atop those huge waves.

LOL. You really haven't been there, have you?

Those breakers
tend to slosh green water into the cockpit, I have found.
One must always keep the washboard in and battened
down.

Those idiot motorvessels seem to be pounding straight
into the waves which seems stupid to me. Why don't they
fall off a bit and take the waves diagonally. They would
have a smoother ride and might even be able to make
some headway.

Primarily because steeply-pitched waves can roll a planing craft over on its
beam ends just after cresting a steep wave, especially if the boat is either
relatively short in length or narrow of beam though longer. Of course
running with the sea or heading into it can pitchpole a small planing vessel
as well. Frankly big, steep waves are no place to be in a smallish
powerboat.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:23 AM

OzOne wrote in message

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:51:34 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

Not so! Those huge waves have little effect upon a small
yacht under a reasonable press of sail to keep her stable.

Of course, in those conditions, the yacht will be sailing
off the wind so the period of the waves becomes longer.

The properly sailed small yacht will only be bothered
but the breakers atop those huge waves. Those breakers
tend to slosh green water into the cockpit, I have found.
One must always keep the washboard in and battened
down.

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaaa!
Cappy, the breakers atop those huge waves will often be above your
mast height!
They'll pick your little boat up like flicking a fly with your finger!

He's been reading too many magazines while tied to that mooring float.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:29 AM

OzOne wrote in message

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:25:40 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

Idiots should have storm jib up and they'd have some control.

Fools are attempting to sail with main alone and cannot overcome
the weather helm with their silly little racing rudder and thin keel.

CN

Bwaaahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaa aa!
I'll tell em when I wave em off for the next Syd Hobart, I'm sure
they'll be impressed that the good Capt can show them how to break all
the records they already hold.

Bwaaahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahaaa!

I just love it. CN, from his tiny Coronado on a mooring somewhere in FL,
criticizing a crew racing the Hobart. Stretches one's incredulity, it does.

Max