BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

Capt. Neal® December 21st 04 01:14 AM

C'mon, Katy. A lake is a lake is a lake.

Do come down and sail with me sometime. I will show you
a glimpse of the challenge and beauty of blue water sailing.
You will never be happy with your little lake again.

CN

"katysails" wrote in message ...
They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Donal" wrote in message

Heh .... we haven't heard about the "Sea of Michigan" for a while.

Oddly enough, Lake Michigan and the other GLs aren't really lakes at all.
They would more correctly be termed inland seas. And I'll take the
Roaring Forties any day over Lake Michigan in hurricane force winds. The
southern ocean will get very, very big, but Lake M. will have almost no
spacing between the 40' waves, meaning a small boat will fall off the
waves into the trough as if dropped off a three-story building. Many a
salty skipper sailing container and bulk freighters from abroad have been
humbled by the GLs. Among the most oft-repeated tales in European and
Asian ports are those of storms on the Great Lakes.

Max

katysails December 21st 04 03:08 AM

Neal
I've sailed on the Gulf...Thought it was quite boring....you could set your
sails and then not have to do anything else...just sit there...I prefer the
wild and wooly sailing on Lake Michigan, thank you very much. Fall sailing
in Michigan is the best. You get a good breeze of around 15 knots and 2-4
footers...weather is just cool enough that you don't have to grease yourself
down with sunscreen...it's invigorating and refreshing instead of hot and
sticky...You travel up here and go sailing with us...we'll take you out in a
storm...

"katysails" wrote in message
They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:01 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

There was one weekend when we drove up to Frankfort...that's the only
weekend we weren't on the boat this fall....

Maybe we just know how to pick 'em. Actually there was evidence that you
guys might have been there. We didn't get closer than where we were
anchored, but it looked as if the companionway might have been partly open.
We didn't see any activity, so we stayed away, thinking you guys might be
napping or *something.* Chopper usually rears his head sooner or later if
you're aboard.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:02 AM

"Bell" wrote in message

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

For the same reason that most people you'd never want to see naked are
nudists.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:05 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Well, with a boat that size you need someone to assist...I think the
"assist" is pretty well not willing...the 42 was an accommodation rather
than a cottage, I believe...she wanted a trawler....the 30 used to go out
several times a weekend...

Lots of the anti-sailing women who own sailboats are talking trawler these
days. Some say it's a natural evolutionary trend with sailors. I say it's
a lazy trend. Trawlers--the full displacement types--go no faster than a
40' sailboat and leave the dock even less.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:10 AM

"JG" wrote in message

I believe it's a domestic bamboo, but who cares about a communist bear?

Domestic bamboo? Whazzat? Something grown next to the cannabis out in the
Bay Area?

Pandas aren't communist--they are quite solitary, they work hard at
procuring their food, and no other species, or even other bears, sponge off
them for food, clothing, or shelter. They are truly entrepreneurial
capitalists, despite where they reside.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:11 AM

"Scout" wrote in message

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there though,
before it was called Truman).

Harry S. or Capote?

Max

Thom Stewart December 21st 04 05:15 AM

My son graduaed from there, when it was Wilson. 1969
ot

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:19 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

Their loss. And hell, the GLs are too crowded the way it is. Don't entice
anyone . . .

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:23 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Neal
I've sailed on the Gulf...Thought it was quite boring....you could set
your sails and then not have to do anything else...just sit there...I
prefer the wild and wooly sailing on Lake Michigan, thank you very much.
Fall sailing in Michigan is the best. You get a good breeze of around 15
knots and 2-4 footers...weather is just cool enough that you don't have to
grease yourself down with sunscreen...it's invigorating and refreshing
instead of hot and sticky...You travel up here and go sailing with
us...we'll take you out in a storm...

Don't encourage him, Katy. I'd hate to see you and Mr. Sails fall overboard
with raucous laughter when the good Captain's eyes assume the size of tennis
balls and his lower jaw hits the deck upon his first experience with an
8-10' closely-spaced Lake M. chop. At the very least he should be polite
enough to bring his own harness and lanyard, plus a remedy for mal-de-mer.

Max