BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

Horvath December 20th 04 05:00 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:03:40 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

What kind of wood are you using? A friend just put in bamboo.. looks great.

Yeah. You'd like my wood.

Maxprop December 20th 04 05:02 AM

"JG" wrote in message

What kind of wood are you using? A friend just put in bamboo.. looks
great.

No wonder the Pandas are almost extinct, with their food supply going into
your friend's floors.

Max

Maxprop December 20th 04 05:07 AM

"Donal" wrote in message

If having a new house is something to be proud of, then I must hang my
head
in shame. Parts of my house are older than your country!!

The most beautiful house I've ever seen was a 400 year old place in Sweden.
Nothing built in the last 200 years can approach the details, materials, and
interest of that place. New homes are sterile, austere, and cheap looking
by comparison with even those built 60 years ago. Unless your place is
falling in around your shoulders, you have something to engender immense
pride.

Max

Maxprop December 20th 04 05:16 AM

"Donal" wrote in message

Heh .... we haven't heard about the "Sea of Michigan" for a while.

Oddly enough, Lake Michigan and the other GLs aren't really lakes at all.
They would more correctly be termed inland seas. And I'll take the Roaring
Forties any day over Lake Michigan in hurricane force winds. The southern
ocean will get very, very big, but Lake M. will have almost no spacing
between the 40' waves, meaning a small boat will fall off the waves into the
trough as if dropped off a three-story building. Many a salty skipper
sailing container and bulk freighters from abroad have been humbled by the
GLs. Among the most oft-repeated tales in European and Asian ports are
those of storms on the Great Lakes.

Max

Maxprop December 20th 04 05:25 AM

"John Cairns" wrote in message

When I got back from the crossing, one of our club members was talking
about a club cruise to a destination about 40 miles from here, blah, blah.
I laughed a little bit about it, they were slightly hurt and adamant about
how nasty it was. The seas can get real nasty in these parts, but it's
generally when everyone has hauled out for the winter. And in any event,
nothing like running into nasty weather well offshore.

Would that account for the fact that the statistic of shipwrecks per a given
period of time in the GLs is many times that for virtually any other body of
water in the world? I'll take 40 footers on the ocean any day before those
same wave heights on the GLs, with their short periodicity.

Granted most GL sailors are fair-weather types, and don't get much
experience with the sort of weather that occurs between October and March,
but to imply that the GLs are a picnic compared with offshore is not borne
out by the statistics. And a chat with any merchant seamen from abroad
who've experienced the GLs at their most violent will probably change your
mind.

Max

Maxprop December 20th 04 05:27 AM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

I bet the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald might have something to say.

That was just one boat. How about that year (1917 maybe??) when over 30
bulk freighters went to the bottom?

Max

JG December 20th 04 05:33 AM

Sorry, but even if you're technically female, I'm not interested.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JG December 20th 04 05:34 AM

I believe it's a domestic bamboo, but who cares about a communist bear?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

Scott Vernon December 20th 04 06:18 AM

"Horvath" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:12:43 -0500, "Scott Vernon"
wrote this crap:

"Horvath" wrote this crap:

Even with a trailer home, home improvements never stop. I
have a double wide, and I'm currently installing $20 worth of

hardwood
flooring.

Finally got tired of the splinters from your plywood floors,eh?

I got carpet, and I'm a dumbass.

Carpet over the plywood? or are you installing the hardwood over the
carpet?

Scott Vernon December 20th 04 06:19 AM

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

I bet the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald might have something to

say.

That was just one boat. How about that year (1917 maybe??) when

over 30
bulk freighters went to the bottom?

Yeah but only the EF had a song written about it.

Scotty