BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

Scout December 20th 04 10:31 AM

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there though,
before it was called Truman).
Scout

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Hey Scout,

Where are you building? Are you still teaching? Still at Truman?

OT

Horvath December 20th 04 11:59 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:33:52 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

Sorry, butt if you're technically female, I'm not interested.

Do you have to gay up every thread?

JG December 20th 04 06:14 PM

"Horvath" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:33:52 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

Sorry, but if you're technically female, I'm not interested.

Do you have to gay up every thread?

Bell December 20th 04 08:21 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
"katysails" wrote in message
You need to come down and visit MYC....
...there are no gold ankle bracelets, the guys drink
inferior beer, and us women run around naked as
jaybirds....

Sounds like my kind of place.

Scotty

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

katysails December 20th 04 10:40 PM

They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Donal" wrote in message

Heh .... we haven't heard about the "Sea of Michigan" for a while.

Oddly enough, Lake Michigan and the other GLs aren't really lakes at all.
They would more correctly be termed inland seas. And I'll take the
Roaring Forties any day over Lake Michigan in hurricane force winds. The
southern ocean will get very, very big, but Lake M. will have almost no
spacing between the 40' waves, meaning a small boat will fall off the
waves into the trough as if dropped off a three-story building. Many a
salty skipper sailing container and bulk freighters from abroad have been
humbled by the GLs. Among the most oft-repeated tales in European and
Asian ports are those of storms on the Great Lakes.

Max

katysails December 20th 04 11:00 PM

There was one weekend when we drove up to Frankfort...that's the only
weekend we weren't on the boat this fall....

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"katysails" wrote in message

Nope..I don't....the past two summers we've done a lot of sailing with
our granddaughters, exploring, and in general, not having to deal with
dock life...the switch to a mooring was not just a financial
consideration....

I'm sure there are occasions when you miss it, but in generally I'm
sympathetic with your reasoning. We, too, considered a mooring, but all
the available moorings on WL are at the YC or Margaritaville, meaning lots
of boat wake and idiot powerboaters blasting through the mooring field at
all hours. Further it is a hassle to deal with Niki's needs from a
mooring. But I love being on a mooring, mostly because we aren't bothered
by others, we have some privacy, and the view is superior. When we travel
we almost never rent a slip, preferring to anchor instead. And after
doing so for years, we've arrived at the conclusion that the GLs are too
crowded. This past fall we sailed down to Muskegon Lake one weekend, just
to get away from the dock and the noise. We anchored about 100 yards from
your mooring, but never saw you guys. Must have been a weekend you
weren't up at the lake.

Max

katysails December 20th 04 11:03 PM

Well, with a boat that size you need someone to assist...I think the
"assist" is pretty well not willing...the 42 was an accommodation rather
than a cottage, I believe...she wanted a trawler....the 30 used to go out
several times a weekend...
"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"katysails" wrote in message

M. B. ...before you arrived, he sailed ALL the time...over the years, and
as the boats got bigger, he began to take on the "boat as cottage"
attitude...many of the people who were originally on the dock that were
sailors have left for other parts.. a few are down here in Muskegon...

Interesting. You do know that they have a Catalina 42 now, doncha? And
while he still sails, the boat doesn't go out as much as the 36 did. I
didn't know him when he owned the 30, so I guess you could be right. He's
gotten the 42 crosswise in the fairways a couple of times in a breeze, so
I think he tends to keep it tied up more than before when it's blowing.
As an aside, I've noticed this trend with most people who've gone to
larger and larger boats. Sailing frequency and size vary inversely, it
would seem.

Max

Scott Vernon December 20th 04 11:18 PM

OzOne wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:32:14 -0500, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

he tried to get into Plowville, but wasn't accepted.

Scotty

Too much diversity in his genes?

Too many holes in his jeans.

Donal December 21st 04 12:32 AM

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Donal" wrote in message

If having a new house is something to be proud of, then I must hang my
head
in shame. Parts of my house are older than your country!!

The most beautiful house I've ever seen was a 400 year old place in

Sweden.
Nothing built in the last 200 years can approach the details, materials,

and
interest of that place. New homes are sterile, austere, and cheap looking
by comparison with even those built 60 years ago. Unless your place is
falling in around your shoulders, you have something to engender immense
pride.

Unfortunately, it used to be a stable!! It has character, but no great
architectural merit.

Regards

Donal