Scott Vernon

MX , 1972~1975. Amatuer #514, expert # 35. AMA dist. #6 No nat.
#.
Enduros & Hare Scrambles 1980 ~ 1990 lots of trophies and a few
purses.

Scotty

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

What kind of racing did you do and when?
Anybody with a national AMA number is
somebody with coordination and skill.

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

A jap mechanic, eh?

me? no schooling or any trade time, just a room full of trophies.

Scotty #514

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

Beg pardon cappy, you may know more about sailing than me, but

you
don't even come close when it comes to bikes.

I think not. I worked as a mechanic in a Suzuki shop for seven
years and then I worked as a Technical Advisor for U.S. Suzuki
Motor Corp for seven years. I taught carburetion in their
training center in Chicago and I taught electrical systems there
as well. I spent most of the time in the field helping mechanics
fix things they could not figure out. I'm good. Better than
you, I'm sure unless you can show similar qualifications.

CN

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
Check away!

That would be 1974, right?

Why are you changing your number
all of a sudden.

Time delay? Wait for it.

Scotty #514

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

I can check on that ya know.

Scotty #35

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

National number 42 back when Joel Roberts (CZ) and Hans Maisch

(Maico)
were all the rage. I beat Hans in Olathe, KS. (only because he

DNF'd)
Those two were FAAAAST!

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

You've never raced, have you?

Mikuni = more jap crap.

Bing is THE thing!

Scotty

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
Smooth bore Mikunis flow better than your European crap
plus they have more adjustment possibility.

As for top end being the only important thing that is
bunk! If your motor stutters or gasps because of
poor low and mid-range jetting it takes a lot longer
to get to the rpms where the main jet circuitry comes
into play.

Mikuni rules!

CN
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
Shows you know nothing about carburetors for

motorcycles.

Beg pardon cappy, you may know more about sailing than me,

but
you
don't even come close when it comes to bikes.

Bings, and Amals for that matter, flow better at top end.

That's
where
you want it.

bottom end? mid range? Bah! WFO!

Scotty #35

Nothing beats a Mikuni carburetor.

The reason being is that Mikunis are totally adjustable
with respect to low speed, mid-range, and top speed
whereas crapola like Bings have no mid-range adjustment
possible.

Mikunis have air and fuel jets for low range
Bings only have a screw to adjust the air.

Mikunis have jet needles and needle jets for
mid range adjustment while Bings offer only
needle jets.

Both Bings and Mikunis have an assortment
of high speed jets.

Anybody who knows how to tune a motorcycle
for max performance given the altitude the
machine is used in knows Mikunis are the
preferred choice.

I hope this helps.

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I have Bing CVs.

like
Bings,
real simple, that's what my Maicos had.

Scotty

"Vito" wrote in message
"Scott Vernon" wrote in

message
What is the Lentini mod? And what is 0-0 ?

Scotty
'77 R100S

Not to worry on your R100s. BM buys fuel injection

systems
pre-calibrated
from Italy for their R1100/1200 models. They have a

simple
pot
(variable
resistor) on the throttle shaft that tells the

computer
how
far
open
the
throttle is. About 1 in 10 of these are off a tad

making
the
bike
run
crappy. Bob Lentini's "mod" is simply to reposition

of
the
pot
with
the
throttle closed so it sends the right 'closed'

voltage
the
computer like
it is supposed to do and does on most BMs. But the
adjustment
screws
have
"tell tale" paint installed in Italy that perforce

gets
broken
during this
fix so BMW calls it a "unauthorize modification".

Replacing
the
$10/apiece
spark plugs with cheap US ones finishes the job.

Capt. Neal®

Amateur racing was fun but too easy. I used to clean up.

I did MX, enduro, trials, hare scrambles, hare and hound,
flat track, drag racing and hill climbing. I'm perhaps the
only person ever to top the Widowmaker in SLC with a
90cc Hodaka. (Bored to 100cc and ported and polished
and carbureted to run like a 175cc machine).

Even got the US Army to sponsor my team.

CN

National racing is another league altogether. It teaches
on the meaning of the phrase -"not quite good enough".

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Beg pardon cappy, you may know more about sailing than me, but

you
don't even come close when it comes to bikes.

I think not. I worked as a mechanic in a Suzuki shop for seven
years and then I worked as a Technical Advisor for U.S. Suzuki
Motor Corp for seven years. I taught carburetion in their
training center in Chicago and I taught electrical systems there
as well. I spent most of the time in the field helping mechanics
fix things they could not figure out. I'm good. Better than
you, I'm sure unless you can show similar qualifications.

CN

Scott Vernon

do you remember Ron & Jim Pomeroy?

SV

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
[...]

Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I have Bing CVs. I

"Vito" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Vernon

Poor Suzy.

wrote ...

LIMP!

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Amateur racing was fun but too easy. I used to clean up.

The job Johnnys

I did MX, enduro, trials, hare scrambles, hare and hound,
flat track, drag racing and hill climbing. I'm perhaps the
only person ever to top the Widowmaker in SLC with a
90cc Hodaka. (Bored to 100cc and ported and polished
and carbureted to run like a 175cc machine).

If you did own a Hodaka, what was the 'weak link' on that engine, the
one thing that broke most often?

Even got the US Army to sponsor my team.

CN

National racing is another league altogether. It teaches
on the meaning of the phrase -"not quite good enough".

Oh, almost forgot, I did do the Trans Am in Fla. in '75, got beat and
partied too much.

Scotty #35

Capt. Neal®

Never heard of 'em . . .