Vito

My dad says the best way to catch a monkey.....

Tie a bunch of fruit too high to reach but leave a ladder under it then let
in 5-10 monkeys. Whenever they start up the ladder hit them with a fire
hose! When they quit trying replace one monkey. When the new monk goes for
the fruit hose him off the ladder then hose the rest down too. Repeat with
another monkey. Soon the old monkeys will not let a new one near the ladder.
Each day replce the oldest monkey till no monkey has ever been hosed. The
older ones will still beat the crap out of any newcomer who heads for the
fruit even tho none of them have ever been hosed. Just like some people we
know .....

Vito

"John Cairns" wrote in message
om...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Thanks Group,

Dec.,7th, 1941 was the day that Branded my generation. Us Old Timers
vowed to make the bad things in our world better. We thought we did.
Trouble with living so long, is seeing that we created other problems.
SORRY

Thanks for Rememdering Pearl Harbor!

Ole Thom

You guys did fine, it was the fellas after you that screwed everything up.
John Cairns

Second that!! It WAS better into and thru the 1960s. Bigger incomes, nicer
homes, better cars and bikes, less gummymint interference, et al. Then the
beancounters who turned 'nam into a quagmire and it turned American against
American but that wasn't your generation Thom, or even mine.

Bob Crantz

When you were in the 4 corners did you notice the miles and miles and miles
of booze bottles on the sides of the road? Tell me you didn't drive through
the reservation at night.

Amen!

Bob Crantz

"Vito" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote
As bad as the Harleys are, .....

grin
I still have a 1990 FLHTC I bought new. It'd been 92,000 miles when it
cracked a valve guide in 110 deg heat in NV but it went on to LA then back
to VA where the Dealer replaced the heads under warranty. Next year the
stator died in Four Corners but since I could turn the headlight off I

rode
it to Flagstaff, where it was fixed that morning, and when I got back to

VA
the dealer replaced both engine cases - including all the lower end
bearings - free, under warranty. It now has about 200,000 miles on it. I
replaced the belt and sprockets at 135,000, rear tyres every 12,000,

fronts
half as often, and changed oil and filters and used a gallon of gas every

40
miles.Valve adjustments? $400/10,000mi on rice but never needed on H-Ds.

By contrast a buddy bought a new RZ-350 just like mine but never got to

ride
it cuz it seized and the dealer kept it over a year waiting for pistons.

Had
plenty of oversizes but no stockers and Yamahahaha said no rebore - had to
fix it right no matter how long that took!! He sold it 'as is' and took a
bath. Tell him how wunnerful your ricer is but watch out, he mastered in
both rifle and pistol.

Similarly, my new R1100RT BM ran like crap so I blew $700 (IIRC) on a

major
service that didn't help. Wrench said it needed a minor adjustment (0=0

for
y'all BMrs) but it'd void my warranty. Happened to about 1 in 10 bike but
BMW NA's position was that I had the finest bike in the world and should

be
happy even if it didn't run. Ditto the chrome coming off my R1100C and

the
goofy wear that ruins $125+ front tyres every 4-5000 miles and ... and

Did I mention that I can still get parts for most any H-D and Brit, even
'new' Amal carbs, but not brake parts for an original CB750 Honda ... or
that many BMW dealers don't work on "vintage" (R100) BMWs from " back in

the
80s" anymore?

That's why my 1990 H-D still has a home while others have come and gone.

It
shares a garage with my Oilfield and wife's bikes: a 112 HP Kaw 600, a '79
Bunnyville, a 1200 Sporty, a BSA 250 that Dick Mann built for 'Smiley'
Cameron and he gave her, and a mid-60s F3 bike (Yammy 125 in Van Tech).

She
rarely lets me ride them cuz I totaled her new Triumph 1200 last year. I

had
to sell my 1200 Kaw and ST-2 Duc cuz I my neck can't hack the position

since
that crash (No! Not old age! I'm in denial). Lost $1000s on each of them

but
my old hog is till worth the same $$$ I paid for it back in '89. Remind me
to ride it down to the boat Saturday ....

BTW the reason older H-Ds leaked was that their Automatic Chain Oilers

were
maladjusted but y'all knowed that right?

Capt. Neal®

Harley Davidson riders are among the most feeble minded
people in the world and Vito proves it with his justifying
the many Harley major breakdowns on the basis that
parts are available. Of course parts are available.
There would be NO Harleys on the road if this were
not the case.

CN

"Vito" wrote in message
[...]

Horvath

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:47:46 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote this crap:

Harley Davidson riders are among the most feeble minded
people in the world and Vito proves it with his justifying
the many Harley major breakdowns on the basis that
parts are available. Of course parts are available.

People who can't afford Harleys are always the most jealous. My lawn
tractor is worth more than your crappy Soo-sucky.

Maxprop

"Vito" wrote in message

Similarly, my new R1100RT BM ran like crap so I blew $700 (IIRC) on a

major
service that didn't help. Wrench said it needed a minor adjustment (0=0

for
y'all BMrs) but it'd void my warranty. Happened to about 1 in 10 bike but
BMW NA's position was that I had the finest bike in the world and should

be
happy even if it didn't run. Ditto the chrome coming off my R1100C and

the
goofy wear that ruins $125+ front tyres every 4-5000 miles and ... and

So you have the infamous BMW "surge" that BMW corporate denies even exists,
eh. So does my R1150RT. The local wrench did a fine job of minimizing it
without resorting to the Rob Lentini mod. (0-0, as you say) but it's still
there. To boot, BMW rearended my local dealership and ran them out of
business, so now we have no official BMW service here now. The wrench went
independent, and I use him for most things, but it's so damned typical of
BMW corporate to screw over its long-time customers. Hate the *******s, and
I've bought my last BMW bike.

Good luck with your bike, and do the Lentini mod, now that it's out of
warranty. The mod works perfectly, albeit the fuel economy drops a little
and the emissions get slightly dirtier. (Only Mr. Ganz will get his panties
in a wad over that.)

Max

Scott Vernon

the XRs were nice, but at what price?

I bet you're *still* mad at Bubba.

Scotty

"Vito" wrote in message
"Scott Vernon" wrote

Tell us which American bike he could have bought in '75 that had

the
same performance as his S380.

XR-750 IIRC (The factory flat trackers) or any of their roadracers.

Didn't
see many in showrooms but they were for sale.

Horvath

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:14:39 -0500, "Scott Vernon"
wrote this crap:

the XRs were nice, but at what price?

My bike is an XR1000. Purchased brand new in 1984 for nine grand.
And well worth the price.

Vito

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
When you were in the 4 corners did you notice the miles and miles and

miles
of booze bottles on the sides of the road?

Naw, being from VA trash is too common to notice )c:. But I loved being
buzzed by flocks of Navaho teens on fast 600s - Crazy Horse lives, just on
an iron steed.