FamilySailor

Default Posting on alt.sailing.asa

Okay, I may be stupid (that is relative), but under the "Where be ye" post I
was under the impression, some sailors here are cruising and have no port.
Is it possible to read the posts and reply to sailing.asa while cruising. I
thought you had to be online to access news groups. If there is some new
technology, please educate me. If so I gotta get connected!

Sea Yawl,
John "26 Again"

Jeff Morris

I don't bother to post while traveling, But I have a few friends who maintain
"medium speed" access (about 110 KBaud) using Sprint cell phone connections. I
don't know if that deal is still available, but $10 a month gives them unlimited
connect time.

WiFi can be used over limited areas - much of the FL Keys are "wired" for WiFi.
And most "hi-roller" marinas, especially resort oriented places, have phone
access in the slips. And most marinas have phone jacks in the office and allow
you plug in to check e-mail, etc.

"FamilySailor" wrote in message
Okay, I may be stupid (that is relative), but under the "Where be ye" post I
was under the impression, some sailors here are cruising and have no port.
Is it possible to read the posts and reply to sailing.asa while cruising. I
thought you had to be online to access news groups. If there is some new
technology, please educate me. If so I gotta get connected!

Sea Yawl,
John "26 Again"

Scout

110K bps? no kidding? That seems fast for a cell phone. My modem is only
56K. My first connection was just 1200 bps (bulletin boards). I might have
to look into Sprint - I use AT&T wireless now, and when I asked about using
my cell phone to connect to the Internet they looked at me like I have two
heads. My third head was quite insulted.
Scout

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
[...]

katysails

My third head was quite insulted.
Scout

tsk tsk tsk
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Scout

Is that one tsk for each of us?
Scout

"katysails" wrote in message

My third head was quite insulted.
Scout

tsk tsk tsk
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

---

Vito

Some, but hardly all or even most stay out continuously. Even the long-haul
sailors spend weeks or months pierside refitting, recovering and
replenishing funds. Others live aboard but seldom go out for more than a
day or two. Then there are dudes like me who have a year or so to go to
retirement and still live ashore - offering ample opportunity to harass
people who's invisible friend tells them what's right and wrong. (c:

"FamilySailor" wrote in message
Okay, I may be stupid (that is relative), but under the "Where be ye" post

was under the impression, some sailors here are cruising and have no port.

Jeff Morris

Yes, the nominal rate is 140 kBaud, but in practice its a bit slower. Its the
system intended for browsing on the cell phone itself, but it turns out with the
right cable you get it on your laptop. My friend is skeptical the deal will
continue, especially if a lot of people catch on. He thinks the deal will not
be offered with phones that can be cabled.

"Scout" wrote in message
[...]

Lady Sailor

We don't have any special technology on the boat to send emails or use
the internet while in Mexico. When we want to go online we use
internet cafe's, they are everywhere in Mexico. Back here in the U.S.
they are harder to find. Right now we are staying in a hotel that has
wireless. Some of our friends use Sail Mail while cruising but that's
just text email, no attachments and no internet. I personally like
not having the distraction of internet on the boat.

Lady Sailor

FamilySailor wrote:
Okay, I may be stupid (that is relative), but under the "Where be ye" post I
was under the impression, some sailors here are cruising and have no port.
Is it possible to read the posts and reply to sailing.asa while cruising. I
thought you had to be online to access news groups. If there is some new
technology, please educate me. If so I gotta get connected!

Sea Yawl,
John "26 Again"

FamilySailor

I personally like not having the distraction of internet on the boat.

Lady Sailor

Probably the wiser choice

Scott Vernon

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:28:21 GMT, "Scout" said:

My first connection was just 1200 bps (bulletin boards).

Ah, such a child. My first was at the then state of the art speed of 300.

That's nothing, junior, we used to email each other using waxed string
between 2 cans.

SV

American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 28th 04 09:08 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 30th 04 09:36 AM
Happy New Year, thgis was alt.sailing.asa 2003 MC ASA 2 January 7th 04 09:05 PM
Can We STOP IT??? Bobsprit ASA 5 November 21st 03 11:59 AM
The Real Imposter! Anonymous ASA 2 November 3rd 03 08:56 AM