Michael

Default Posting on alt.sailing.asa

At my present job site the motto is 'Christopher Columbus eat your heart
out!" Think about it. Nothing but a sort of compass and a backstaff. No
idea of longitude and never mind what's on the weather channel. Today we
rely heavily on the satellite and computerized weather systems in doing
route planning. Want a good ride just download the 500 mb chart and stay 500
miles or so south of the heavy 564mb line. No weather fax? Just tune in the
right radio broadcast. On the faster ships we get warning way in advance
and just move out of the way. Slower vessels such as our sailing yachts
still get plenty of detailed warning compared to 'way back when." But you
rR\eally have to respect those early Irish, Norse, and other sailing folk
who relied on nothing more than skill and memorized stories to cross oceans.
Respect them for venturing offshore but . ......trade in my sextant for a
backstaff? No way!

M.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Why do you think he would scoff at a GPS? Cell phone for sure, but
seems to me he would think the GPS is a practical device.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:15:33 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"

wrote:

I would think he'd be amazed at the new technology and use
it. Don't you? .. at least the GPS and compass.

He'd laugh at the notion that having a GPS and Cell phone on board might

be
"spartan".

And I'm pretty sure Slocum had a compass - or several.

BB

katysails

I remember not even having a computer and using an IBM Selectric to write
mail for the snail to deliver. at - .00015 baud....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Michael

First high capacity hard drive our store sold was to a programmer. His
business ponied up a bit over a $1,000 for it. How much capacity? 80MB.
That's it. Myfirst computer, the Kaypro had 64K RAM and two DSDD 360k FD.
One more. Our store was the first in the state to sell laser printers for
under $1,000 and our first full bed b&w scanner was purchased wholesale to
us for about the same amount. And the original Kaypro with daisy wheel for
the nice stuff and dot matrix wide carraige ran $2,000 for everything. That
was in 1983, just 21 years ago. We had the first BB in our store on a 20mb
HD. Not much but it got folks started. Phone company wanted to charge us
an extra line and by the minute. But they were up for franchise renewal,
had Sprint to compete with and I was on the city council. . . . . . .

Now my wris****ch has more computing power than that first Kaypro ....

What's next insight? A badge or somethingsimilar. You touch it and say,
"Computer!"

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Yeh, I had similar. The first modem I bought was $450 and was good
up to 1200 baud. I thought it was a fantastic deal and quite cutting
edge at the time. (I had been using the expensive crap at work.) My
first HD was a whopping 17 megs. That also cost about $500. Nothing
but trouble. It was external since I couldn't fit in the box, but the

cables
were a couple of inches too long and it was always flaking due to
signal degradation.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Michael" wrote in message
Kaypro with 65K and 300 baud modem. Hard drive was separate and as big

as
shoebox.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Well that figures.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Horvath" wrote in message
On 23 Jul 2004 12:23:06 -0500, Dave wrote this
crap:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:28:21 GMT, "Scout"

said:

My first connection was just 1200 bps (bulletin boards).

Ah, such a child. My first was at the then state of the art speed

of
300.

The first time I connected to the internet with my OWN computer, was

Commodore VIC-20, at 300 baud.

Michael

Add a decade or so . . ..

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
You have to touch it?? You have to say it? I would prefer to just
think it. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

said:

My first connection was just 1200 bps (bulletin boards).

Ah, such a child. My first was at the then state of the art

speed
of
300.

The first time I connected to the internet with my OWN computer,

was
Commodore VIC-20, at 300 baud.

Scout

all too true - of course, Thor Heyerdahl would laugh even harder at both of
us!
Scout

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:44:04 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"

wrote:

Why do you think he would scoff at a GPS? Cell phone for sure, but
seems to me he would think the GPS is a practical device.

I don't think he would scoff at a GPS or a Cell phone if he were alive

today.
But to hear a "modern" sailor call these items spartan, compared to what

he had
available would make him bust a gut for sure.

BB

katysails

Thor Heyerdahl would laugh even harder at both of
us!
Scout

Ah, good old Thor...he died a while back....I read all his books when I was
a kid and he inspired us to make the telephone pole sailing barge that took
3 days to sink....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 28th 04 09:08 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 30th 04 09:36 AM
Happy New Year, thgis was alt.sailing.asa 2003 MC ASA 2 January 7th 04 09:05 PM
Can We STOP IT??? Bobsprit ASA 5 November 21st 03 11:59 AM
The Real Imposter! Anonymous ASA 2 November 3rd 03 08:56 AM