Michael

Default Posting on alt.sailing.asa

First high capacity hard drive our store sold was to a programmer. His
business ponied up a bit over a $1,000 for it. How much capacity? 80MB.
That's it. Myfirst computer, the Kaypro had 64K RAM and two DSDD 360k FD.
One more. Our store was the first in the state to sell laser printers for
under $1,000 and our first full bed b&w scanner was purchased wholesale to
us for about the same amount. And the original Kaypro with daisy wheel for
the nice stuff and dot matrix wide carraige ran $2,000 for everything. That
was in 1983, just 21 years ago. We had the first BB in our store on a 20mb
HD. Not much but it got folks started. Phone company wanted to charge us
an extra line and by the minute. But they were up for franchise renewal,
had Sprint to compete with and I was on the city council. . . . . . .

Now my wris****ch has more computing power than that first Kaypro ....

What's next insight? A badge or somethingsimilar. You touch it and say,
"Computer!"

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Yeh, I had similar. The first modem I bought was $450 and was good
up to 1200 baud. I thought it was a fantastic deal and quite cutting
edge at the time. (I had been using the expensive crap at work.) My
first HD was a whopping 17 megs. That also cost about $500. Nothing
but trouble. It was external since I couldn't fit in the box, but the

cables
were a couple of inches too long and it was always flaking due to
signal degradation.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Michael" wrote in message
Kaypro with 65K and 300 baud modem. Hard drive was separate and as big

as
shoebox.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Well that figures.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Horvath" wrote in message
On 23 Jul 2004 12:23:06 -0500, Dave wrote this
crap:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:28:21 GMT, "Scout"

said:

My first connection was just 1200 bps (bulletin boards).

Ah, such a child. My first was at the then state of the art speed

of
300.

The first time I connected to the internet with my OWN computer, was

Commodore VIC-20, at 300 baud.