Scott Vernon

Default Whoa There Race Boy....

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Wow CM!!

Great Slave Lake!! Oh Boy, what a Racing Venue!! Commissnr Cup?
Commissioner of what? The Hockey League? How long is the Racing Season?
A week an a half?

Hey "Nook Nack of the North" How in the hell did you ever get the
Nordica unto the Great Slave? That would be a story worth hearing.

He was drunk, looking for the Gulf Stream and made a wrong turn.

SV

Capt. Mooron

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
| Wow CM!!
|
| Great Slave Lake!! Oh Boy, what a Racing Venue!! Commissnr Cup?
| Commissioner of what? The Hockey League? How long is the Racing Season?
| A week an a half?

They race from lift in around June 5th when the ice is clear enough to
launch until October when the ice starts to form again. Commissioner of the
Northwest Territories. The Race used to be held in September when I raced
it... they changed it to July due to the amount of vessels suffering storm
damage. It was written up in Readers Digest and a few Canadian Sail
Magazines. It's common for the winds to be around 30+ kts. and temps around
0c to10c. It's a 3 day race... 4 legs...240 nautical mile round trip....
most of it in gale conditions. I've got my name on the Cup twice.

| Hey "Nook Nack of the North" How in the hell did you ever get the
| Nordica unto the Great Slave? That would be a story worth hearing.

It's Nanook {Inuktitut for Polar Bear]. Bought the boat in Ottawa, Canada,
for 55K and had it trucked to Yellowknife for 7K. Put a new engine in 2
years later for 8K and a year later new suit of canvas and a spinnaker for
8K. Since then I've pumped another 10K into the boat in hardware, toys,
running rigging and electronics. I lived aboard for 9 years in Great Slave
Lake. The boat has an Espar Furnace. It's a very comfortable vessel.

| I know the Nordica is built right here in Bellingham,Wa. Did you take
| delivery on the Lake? How did you get her to the "Maritines"? I sure
| would like to hear about it? Beat the hell out of this political BS.

Nope Thom... the boat was built in Canada in Exceter Ontario. The company
folded after a few years. They made a line of vessels... 16ft, 20ft and
30ft. You are thinking of the Nordic Line. Different boat.

I got her to the maritimes by truck 12K... the only other option is the
Mackenzie River but I can't get past the rapids at Fort Good Hope to access
the Beaufort Sea and Northwest Passage.

If you are interested:

Have a look for yourself..... http://www.nordicaboats.com/index.html

...and here as well........
http://community.webshots.com/album/69840614isQSVe

CM

Nav

Capt. Mooron wrote:

| Hey "Nook Nack of the North" How in the hell did you ever get the
| Nordica unto the Great Slave? That would be a story worth hearing.

It's Nanook {Inuktitut for Polar Bear]. Bought the boat in Ottawa, Canada,
for 55K and had it trucked to Yellowknife for 7K.

As I suspected, the "13 knots average for 2 hours" in now explained.

:P

Cheers

Capt. Mooron

"Donal" wrote in message

| The opposite is true. Going upwind, my lack of momentum means that the
| waves slow me down, whereas you would be able to maintain your 4.5 kts.

So a chop slows you down heh??..... that's a darned shame. Anywind over 10
kts will put me at a comfortable 5.5 to 6 kts upwind. Okay... it does take
me a few more minutes to get up to speed.

| Going downwind, however, would be an entirely different matter. You
| wouldn't see me for dust! Your pathetic little crab crusher would be
| bouncing around in the waves while I would be surfing away - at high
speed!

Yes I've heard this type of bravado before.... generally from the
docksiders. The few who have sufficient moxy to test that theory.......
are tuned into the reality of the fact that Overproof is extremely fast
downwind. Much faster than most boats her size and larger.

| Bwahahahaha! Pull the other one - it's got bells on! Delivery trips on
| the back of a truck don't count. Speed over ground doesn't count either.

Lets see... 36 kts wind.... gusting to 45kts.... I left the entire fleet
2 miles behind in an 11 mile stretch. That included a Fraiser 42 and a
Niagara 35..... the Contessa 32 was so far back as not to count. I started
that race as the last vessel to cross the start line and the first to cross
the finish.
Confirmed speed with bearing/bearing on a Datascope, GPS, Log, Radar and
Chrono. Lots of witnesses.

| I can just imagine Ellen Mc Arthur sailing around the world in a crab
| crusher?????

She would if she didn't have all the electronic gizmos, weather routing and
rescue on standby. That's not a slight on her ability... she's a formidable
sailor.... it's just the boat she has to sail. Not because it's a better
boat.... it's a single purpose craft and shouldn't even be entered into the
equation.

15 ft draft, movable water ballast, wing finlets and they call it a fin
keeler... PAH!

| Really,... Mooron, you need to get a grip on reality. When was the last
| time that a crab crusher took part in a "Round the World" race?

Reality is for People who can't handle drugs. As for the race... read above
and understand they are not all downwind. .

Suck It Up Donal!

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message

| As I suspected, the "13 knots average for 2 hours" in now explained.
|
| :P

Haven't you got a log to calibrate or something Nav?? ;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message
| No booze involved, not even American beer. The Soverel 33 is renowned as
| a light-air speedster though, probably not a fair comparison. They make
| a wake you can hear from 1/2 mile off on days when the wind is barely
| enough to disturb cigarette smoke.

Yeah Doug...and I can drink a keg of beer and not fall down.

| It wasn't a C&C 34, it was the 34/36+ (or it might have been the 34/36
| XL, not sure). Like this

Mumble Mumble...Gr-r-r-r....damn models and yearly changes... I swear they
just do it to **** me off!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1193723

| The boat rates around 90 PHRF, in other words more than a minute per
| mile faster than your boat.

Oddly enough I don't see a bow wave on that vessel either.

| Huh??? That's not at all how it works. The wave-making resistance of a
| hull increases with her speed in proportion to her Froude number, which
| is a fairly complex derivative.

That's not going to overcome friction/displacement and allow for a speed
faster than the wind pushing you is it? Even on plane I doubt a boat will
exceed wind speed. That would border on the perpetual motion theory.

| But let's make it simple... a hull with a 30' waterline has a "hull
| speed" of 7.3 knots... meaning that at that speed, the crests of her
| wave train will be 30' apart and she will require tremendous amounts of
| increased applied power to go faster. At roughly 2/3 that speed, or 4.4
| knots, she will be making waves of half her waterline length.

Now that's odd..... hull speed is a figure of the hull's shape and wetted
surface. In other words the limit the boat can theoretically make at optimum
speed without beginning to push water. After that 'speed' has been attained
the force required to surpass it requires exponentially more force. At least
that's how it was explained to me in my youth.

| They may not be very high but the bow wave will certainly have a curl or
| breaking crest, the stern wave probably will too (although it's a well
| regarded feature of "fast" boats to leave low & clean stern waves).

Obviously we have a difference in interpretation of a wave here Doug. I
consider a six inch 'bow wave' as nothing more than a ripple. A bow wave is
when you have water curling off the bow. Upwind it's far easier to effect
this than downwind. I'm certain you've experienced the feeling of a heavy
boat cleaving a large wave on a downwind run and sending tons of water
aside.

| Now bump the speed down a notch or two... only ripples? Sorry, you need
| to pay closer attention... stop sneaking beer into the classroom and put
| down that girly magazine! Anyway, depending on the hull of course,
| there's no way a displacement boat is going to move at 1/2 or even 1/3
| of her hull speed, when wave-making resistance is definitely a factor,
| and make "only ripples." Small waves... OK but not ripples.

I can move Overproof downwind easily at half her hull speed in 5 knots of
wind and only see ripples... not waves.

| Jack Daniels? You can have my share... I've been hiding a bottle of
| single malt in the desk...

I found a bottle of cheap champagne in my cooler..... rum on Friday! ;-)

CM

Nav

Capt. Mooron wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

| As I suspected, the "13 knots average for 2 hours" in now explained.
|
| :P

Haven't you got a log to calibrate or something Nav?? ;-)

No, mine is accurate to 0.1 knot. Is yours?

Cheers

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message

| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| "Nav" wrote in message
|
| | As I suspected, the "13 knots average for 2 hours" in now explained.
| |
| | :P
|
| Haven't you got a log to calibrate or something Nav?? ;-)
|
| No, mine is accurate to 0.1 knot. Is yours?

If mine was as accurate as yours... I'd be sailing 4 kts faster on
Overproof. ;-)

CM

Nav

Capt. Mooron wrote:
"Nav" wrote in message

| Capt. Mooron wrote:
|
| "Nav" wrote in message
|
| | As I suspected, the "13 knots average for 2 hours" in now explained.
| |
| | :P
|
| Haven't you got a log to calibrate or something Nav?? ;-)
|
| No, mine is accurate to 0.1 knot. Is yours?

If mine was as accurate as yours... I'd be sailing 4 kts faster on
Overproof. ;-)

Yes, an accurate sensitive log would help you trim your sails properly!

:P

Cheers

SAIL LOCO

Overproof is extremely fast
downwind. Much faster than most boats her size and larger.

ROFLOL .............. Impossible. No full keeler is "extreemly fast"
downwind.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"