Capt. Mooron

Default Whoa There Race Boy....

"Nav" wrote in message

| That'll no doubt explain the design of all off shore monohull racing
| yachts...

Don't you have a propeller to untangle so you can motor into the bay despite
a nice breeze? ;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message

| That explains a lot. How did you get such a gift PHRF -by winning races?

Cripes Nav.... look at the numbers on boat calc.... at 292 I'm at the Heavy
Crusier Class threshold.

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message
| But you've never sailed faster than windspeed. By the way, when you you
| going to get your defective log fixed?

Nothing to fix on the log... nor the rope. Why do you ask. ;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

| you don't know which year/model Doug was talking about, do ya?

Oh Crap... there I go again! I keep forgetting about that!

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message
| We regularly sail faster than true wind at wind speeds of 4-6 knots on a
| broad reach with the gennaker. It's not at all unusual in performance
| yachts and almost a boring fact of life for big cats.

Oh yeah... those 'performance' yachts and their deadly gennakers.....
woooooo!!
Doing 6 knots in 6kts of wind..... man that must be one slippery ocean! ;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Nav" wrote in message
| The only possible explanation for this observation -and we all know CM
| doesn't exaggerate about things (except maybe his sexual prowess) is
| that the boats he observed _must_ have been sailing away from him!
|
| Bwhahahhahahahahahah

Is that when you are exceeding wind speed by doing 4 knots in only 2 knots
of wind with your gennaker??

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

CM

Nav

Soooooooo jealous.......... :P

Cheers

Capt. Mooron wrote:
"Nav" wrote in message
| We regularly sail faster than true wind at wind speeds of 4-6 knots on a
| broad reach with the gennaker. It's not at all unusual in performance
| yachts and almost a boring fact of life for big cats.

Oh yeah... those 'performance' yachts and their deadly gennakers.....
woooooo!!
Doing 6 knots in 6kts of wind..... man that must be one slippery ocean! ;-)

CM

Nav

Capt. Mooron wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message
| The only possible explanation for this observation -and we all know CM
| doesn't exaggerate about things (except maybe his sexual prowess) is
| that the boats he observed _must_ have been sailing away from him!
|
| Bwhahahhahahahahahah

Is that when you are exceeding wind speed by doing 4 knots in only 2 knots
of wind with your gennaker??

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

No, it's when you don't see a bow wave sailing downwind.

Bwhahhahahahahah

Cheers

DSK

"DSK" wrote
| Heck, a Soverel 33 will move at 4 or 5 knots in almost no wind at all,
| if well sailed. Maybe it's just making a ripple IYHO? Just a few
| weekends ago I watched a Kirie Elite 30-something (looked to be about 35
| feet) and a C&C 34+ tearing around the racecourse in winds of about 3
| knots and chop.

Capt. Mooron wrote:
The hell you say..... 4 or 5 kts in no wind!!! Okay Doug.... put down the
Jack Daniels and back away from the bar!! ;-)

No booze involved, not even American beer. The Soverel 33 is renowned as
a light-air speedster though, probably not a fair comparison. They make
a wake you can hear from 1/2 mile off on days when the wind is barely
enough to disturb cigarette smoke.

I have no experience with the Kirie Elite but I have been on a C&C 34 in
Vancouver. There is no way a C&C 34 can be described as "tearing around" at
3 knots... even with no chop!

It wasn't a C&C 34, it was the 34/36+ (or it might have been the 34/36
XL, not sure). Like this

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1193723

The boat rates around 90 PHRF, in other words more than a minute per
mile faster than your boat.

| Yeah, there's that. But when the boat reaches some significant percent
| of hull speed, it's going to making waves not ripples.

Okay let's explore that point.... down wind with the wave train at let's
average it about a 2ft wave height and a 6 ft between crests. The boat is
doing lets say half an average hull speed [6kts]... on a dead downwind
run....so we'll call it 3 kts speed.

Huh??? That's not at all how it works. The wave-making resistance of a
hull increases with her speed in proportion to her Froude number, which
is a fairly complex derivative.

But let's make it simple... a hull with a 30' waterline has a "hull
speed" of 7.3 knots... meaning that at that speed, the crests of her
wave train will be 30' apart and she will require tremendous amounts of
increased applied power to go faster. At roughly 2/3 that speed, or 4.4
knots, she will be making waves of half her waterline length.

They may not be very high but the bow wave will certainly have a curl or
breaking crest, the stern wave probably will too (although it's a well
regarded feature of "fast" boats to leave low & clean stern waves).

Now bump the speed down a notch or two... only ripples? Sorry, you need
to pay closer attention... stop sneaking beer into the classroom and put
down that girly magazine! Anyway, depending on the hull of course,
there's no way a displacement boat is going to move at 1/2 or even 1/3
of her hull speed, when wave-making resistance is definitely a factor,
and make "only ripples." Small waves... OK but not ripples.

Jack Daniels? You can have my share... I've been hiding a bottle of
single malt in the desk...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

Wow CM!!

Great Slave Lake!! Oh Boy, what a Racing Venue!! Commissnr Cup?
Commissioner of what? The Hockey League? How long is the Racing Season?
A week an a half?

Hey "Nook Nack of the North" How in the hell did you ever get the
Nordica unto the Great Slave? That would be a story worth hearing.

I know the Nordica is built right here in Bellingham,Wa. Did you take
delivery on the Lake? How did you get her to the "Maritines"? I sure
would like to hear about it? Beat the hell out of this political BS.