Capt. Mooron

Default Whoa There Race Boy....

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
| Wow CM!!
|
| Great Slave Lake!! Oh Boy, what a Racing Venue!! Commissnr Cup?
| Commissioner of what? The Hockey League? How long is the Racing Season?
| A week an a half?

They race from lift in around June 5th when the ice is clear enough to
launch until October when the ice starts to form again. Commissioner of the
Northwest Territories. The Race used to be held in September when I raced
it... they changed it to July due to the amount of vessels suffering storm
damage. It was written up in Readers Digest and a few Canadian Sail
Magazines. It's common for the winds to be around 30+ kts. and temps around
0c to10c. It's a 3 day race... 4 legs...240 nautical mile round trip....
most of it in gale conditions. I've got my name on the Cup twice.

| Hey "Nook Nack of the North" How in the hell did you ever get the
| Nordica unto the Great Slave? That would be a story worth hearing.

It's Nanook {Inuktitut for Polar Bear]. Bought the boat in Ottawa, Canada,
for 55K and had it trucked to Yellowknife for 7K. Put a new engine in 2
years later for 8K and a year later new suit of canvas and a spinnaker for
8K. Since then I've pumped another 10K into the boat in hardware, toys,
running rigging and electronics. I lived aboard for 9 years in Great Slave
Lake. The boat has an Espar Furnace. It's a very comfortable vessel.

| I know the Nordica is built right here in Bellingham,Wa. Did you take
| delivery on the Lake? How did you get her to the "Maritines"? I sure
| would like to hear about it? Beat the hell out of this political BS.

Nope Thom... the boat was built in Canada in Exceter Ontario. The company
folded after a few years. They made a line of vessels... 16ft, 20ft and
30ft. You are thinking of the Nordic Line. Different boat.

I got her to the maritimes by truck 12K... the only other option is the
Mackenzie River but I can't get past the rapids at Fort Good Hope to access
the Beaufort Sea and Northwest Passage.

If you are interested:

Have a look for yourself..... http://www.nordicaboats.com/index.html

...and here as well........