Scott Vernon

Default Another nautical term?

WhoooHoooo!!! 73 points! in your face Katy.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" wrote ...
Points? You want points??

OK, I hereby award Scott Vernon 73 Loki-Points.

Bart Senior

By the wind was close hauled.

Large on the wind was down wind.

By and Large, means "in all directions", or "in all situations".

Marc wrote in message
Square rigger term for all sails set on the fastest point of sail.
I've also heard it as " full and by"

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:11:14 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in

"By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Flying Tadpole

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

My understanding was the full and by means sailing close hauled
with the sails trimmed properly

ie "full". If you're pinching at all, it's not full and by.
Accordingly, full & by is not quite the closest on the wind

--
Flying Tadpole, ex schooner skipper where full and by was 5
degrees off!

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
katysails

WhoooHoooo!!! 73 points! in your face Katy.

Scotty

They don't count since they're Loki points (sorry Jeff). Mine are true blue
Bart points....everyone wants Bart points....Jeff's just feeling sorry for
you and being nice...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

The rarity of Loki points will make them quite valuable in the future.

I'll be sure to remember that...(let's see...attic or basement?)

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

I will. If for nothing else but to keep Katy envious.

Scotty

Snorty..that'll be the day....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Nautical Term ! Bart Senior ASA 9 July 2nd 04 11:19 AM
Would you go long term cruising? Parallax Cruising 12 March 15th 04 02:46 PM
TOP NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES OF 2003 Eric H General 1 January 2nd 04 03:07 PM
Long term in Virgin Islands or Antigua Mike Page General 1 September 21st 03 07:54 PM
LIST: NAUTICAL THREADS - SEP 14, 03 TO SEP 21, 03 - ALT.SAILING.ASA two wheels ASA 0 September 21st 03 04:19 PM