Jeff Morris

Default Another nautical term?

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in "By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Marc

Square rigger term for all sails set on the fastest point of sail.
I've also heard it as " full and by"

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:11:14 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in "By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Jonathan Ganz

My understanding was the full and by means sailing close hauled
with the sails trimmed properly. Don't forget to dog down the
scuttles.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in

"By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Marc

You are correct and ,alas, I am not.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:55:16 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

My understanding was the full and by means sailing close hauled
with the sails trimmed properly. Don't forget to dog down the
scuttles.

Scott Vernon

By and Large
1) Colloquial term meaning ‘For the most part.’ Origin of the term seems
to be that a ship was considered particularly seaworthy if it could sail
both ‘by’ (close to the wind) and ‘large’ (broad to or before the wind).

2) A term derived from two sailing terms combined: "By the wind"
(Close-hauled), and "Sailing Large" (Running Free). The term, 'at large' ,
also comes from this usage.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in

"By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Horvath

wrote this crap:

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in "By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

I thought "bi and large" refered to fat homos like Jon-boy.

Jonathan Ganz

Close. It does refer to fat homo boys. You qualify.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote this crap:

One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in

"By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

I thought "bi and large" refered to fat homos like Jon-boy.

Jeff Morris

A winner - though it would be better if you at least pretended you knew the
answer rather than copying a dictionary.

I always liked this phrase because it has such meaning for a sailor, but the
lubbers who use it so frequently are clueless to its meaning, even if you
explain it.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
By and Large
1) Colloquial term meaning ‘For the most part.’ Origin of the term seems
to be that a ship was considered particularly seaworthy if it could sail
both ‘by’ (close to the wind) and ‘large’ (broad to or before the wind).

2) A term derived from two sailing terms combined: "By the wind"
(Close-hauled), and "Sailing Large" (Running Free). The term, 'at large' ,
also comes from this usage.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
One of my favorite nautically based expressions is "By and Large," as in

"By and
large, Booby doesn't know how to sail."

Who knows what it really means?

Scott Vernon

Got it from here; http://www.hostultra.com/~Exidor/Trivia/Navy_Trivia.htm
me? pretend I'm smart? and ruin my image.

BTW, how many points do I get?

Nautical Term ! Bart Senior ASA 9 July 2nd 04 11:19 AM
Would you go long term cruising? Parallax Cruising 12 March 15th 04 02:46 PM
TOP NAUTICAL NEWS STORIES OF 2003 Eric H General 1 January 2nd 04 03:07 PM
Long term in Virgin Islands or Antigua Mike Page General 1 September 21st 03 07:54 PM
LIST: NAUTICAL THREADS - SEP 14, 03 TO SEP 21, 03 - ALT.SAILING.ASA two wheels ASA 0 September 21st 03 04:19 PM