Wally

Default No Longer a Beginner!

EdGordonRN wrote:

We sailed, I believe a total of six miles, according to
the road map I use as a chart.

Try to keep the trolling within the bounds of some semblence of credibility.

3 miles was beating against
approximately 11 mile an hour winds, and of course 3 miles on a run
on the way back.

If the wind didn't change direction, wouldn't your return trip have been a
broad reach?

And we both refuse to use terms like "jibe-ho" or "helms-a-lee."

So what do you say? "Turning left!"? "Turning right!"? "Pointing the sharp
end the way we came!"?

When you harden up, do you call, "pulling the rope on the swingy
stick-thing!"?

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Wally

EdGordonRN wrote:

What does thinking in nautical miles have to do with getting burned
out or frustrated?

Nothing.

Then why mention it? Or were you digressing towards your justification of
how you sail and your approach to same? You do know where nautical miles
comes from, don't you?

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

EdGordonRN

If the wind didn't change direction, wouldn't your return trip have been a
broad reach?

Yeah, sometimes it was a broad reach. But technically, if we went beat to the
south against southern winds, when we came about 180 degrees, it would be a
run. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

When you harden up, do you call, "pulling the rope on the swingy
stick-thing!"?

I've never heard the term "harden up" so I have no ideal what you are talking
about. Obviously, it isn't a really necessary term. But I'm sure to people who
want others to think they sail alot, it's important to throw around.

EdGordonRN

Then why mention it? Or were you digressing towards your justification of
how you sail and your approach to same? You do know where nautical miles
comes from, don't you?

No, I don't. I could easily hit search and discover where it came from, but I
think I'd rather you schooled me on it. Better yet, I think I'll go to your web
site. I'm sure it's there.
katysails

Wally asked: So what do you say?

I would imagine "gee" and "haw"....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Navigator

EdGordonRN wrote:

If the wind didn't change direction, wouldn't your return trip have been a
broad reach?

Yeah, sometimes it was a broad reach. But technically, if we went beat to the
south against southern winds, when we came about 180 degrees, it would be a
run. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

Yes there is -it's called the apparent wind.

Cheers

Bobsprit

3 miles was beating against
approximately 11 mile an hour winds, and of course 3 miles on a run
on the way back.

If the wind didn't change direction, wouldn't your return trip have been a
broad reach?

No Wally. You don't know the position of his mooring relative to the wind nor
at which point he started to sail close hauled.

RB
Bobsprit

And we both refuse to use terms like "jibe-ho" or "helms-a-lee."

So what do you say? "Turning left!"? "Turning right!"? "Pointing the sharp
end the way we came!"?

So long as they both know what the other is doing, they can yell whatever they
want and it will work fine. A few of my girls only know Spanish sailing terms
and it works fine once I know what's what.
Really Wally. Do better.

RB
Bobsprit

We flake the sail,
and wash the boat the next day. We don't get burned out and we don't get
frustrated. And we don't pretend to be sailors. We are sailors. Bottom line.

Edgar's winning this one, folks. He's sailing and enjoying himself. He and his
wife have a system that works and he could care less about any traditional
elements because he's having fun and learning in the process.

RB
DSK

EdGordonRN wrote:
.... But technically, if we went beat to the
south against southern winds, when we came about 180 degrees, it would be a
run. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

I think you are missing something. If you are beating against a
southerly wind, then you're heading either SE or SW. If you then turn
180, you'll be on a broad reach heading either NE or NW.

When you harden up, do you call, "pulling the rope on the swingy
stick-thing!"?

I've never heard the term "harden up" so I have no ideal what you are talking
about.

Obviously, you still have a few things to learn.

... Obviously, it isn't a really necessary term.

Not for someone who is still unsure of basic points of sail, no.

... But I'm sure to people who
want others to think they sail alot, it's important to throw around.

It is a big help in letting the crew know what to do, as well.

I understand, and to some extent, agree with, the reaction against
overly salty lingo. But the plain fact is that there are a lot of things
on boats that have no counterpart in everyday life. If you want to talk
about them, then you need to know the right word(s).

Would you want to go to court being represented by a lawyer who said
things like "Yo, old dude in the bathrobe, put down that hammer thingy
and lighten up"?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Beginner boat B McDonald General 4 March 20th 04 11:54 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Waltz radar levelling mounts no longer available Gordon Wedman Cruising 12 February 2nd 04 06:52 AM
Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guessed! Gould 0738 General 11 January 11th 04 08:00 AM