Navigator

Default No Longer a Beginner!

Wally wrote:

EdGordonRN wrote:

And, yes, I use mph. I
never got the feeling for knots.

How did you get a feeling for wind speed in mph?

When he was young he stuck his head out of his fathers car and felt the
wind. Flies getting stuck to his lolling tongue may have been a bit
unpleasent for him though.

Cheers

SAIL LOCO

And, yes, I use mph. I never got
the feeling for knots.

Must be fun using a chart.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
katysails

We refuse to go sailing if the wind is 9 mph

Teh you are still beginner sailors....it is a challenge to sail in light
air...it is sometimes harder to sail in light air....get a spinnaker and
hone your skills in those less than 9 days....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Bobsprit

Teh you are still beginner sailors....it is a challenge to sail in light
air...it is sometimes harder to sail in light air....get a spinnaker and
hone your skills in those less than 9 days...

Don't tell this to Wally! He thinks running a spin in light air is child's
play!

RB
EdGordonRN

How did you get a feeling for wind speed in mph?

All my life, I have had the weather reports on TV, and now on the web--all in
MPH

EdGordonRN

Teh you are still beginner sailors....it is a challenge to sail in light
air...it is sometimes harder to sail in light air....get a spinnaker and
hone your skills in those less than 9 days....

Forget that. Although a spinnaker might be interesting. What kind of point of
sail can you get with a spinnaker--isn't it only for running?
Jeff Morris

If you're going to the web and not getting the marine forecast, you're still a
beginner.

"EdGordonRN" wrote in message
How did you get a feeling for wind speed in mph?

All my life, I have had the weather reports on TV, and now on the web--all in
MPH

Bobsprit

If you're going to the web and not getting the marine forecast, you're still a
beginner.

Not on the LIS. I find checking several web weather sites are more accurate
than NOAA alone.
If Edgar wants to use MPH what difference does it make? None.

RB
Jeff Morris

Yes - the "lubbers" forecast (I use Wunderground) is handy for many aspects of
the weather. But for telling the wind strength and direction, as well as wave
heights, the marine forecast is needed. In addition, the marine forecast will
give wind and water predictions for both protected and unprotected waters, as
well as any marine advisories. I would think that anyone venturing out,
especially in a small boat, would be interested in these things.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
If you're going to the web and not getting the marine forecast, you're still a
beginner.

Not on the LIS. I find checking several web weather sites are more accurate
than NOAA alone.
If Edgar wants to use MPH what difference does it make? None.

RB

Martin Baxter

Jeff Morris wrote:

I would think that anyone venturing out,
especially in a small boat, would be interested in these things.

The operative words being "venturing out", when tied to the dock, what difference does it make? "None.", to quote Bob.

Cheers
Marty

Beginner boat B McDonald General 4 March 20th 04 11:54 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Waltz radar levelling mounts no longer available Gordon Wedman Cruising 12 February 2nd 04 06:52 AM
Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guessed! Gould 0738 General 11 January 11th 04 08:00 AM