Walt

Default No Longer a Beginner!

DSK wrote:

EdGordonRN wrote:
We have a Hunter 146, and I think it's safe to
say, we were pushing it to its limits. We had the main reefed but with full
jib.

?? Never seen reef points on a Hunter 146 (or any other boat that size).

It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of. For instance, CL boatworks
offers mainsail reef points for the CL-14 and CL-16 as a factory
option. Cost about $100 CDN.

.... I really don't think I want to go out in heavier winds. But we are
certainly no longer beginners at sailing. The problem now is that we are
spoiled. We refuse to go sailing if the wind is 9 mph. I'd go out in maybe
winds gusting to 25 mph, but beyond that, I'm sure I'd start breaking rigging.

Probably not. Unless you've mistreated it somehow, the rigging on that
boat should not break in the strongest winds you can keep it right-side up.

Well, the shrouds and forestay should hold (i.e. the mast shouldn't come
down) but everything else that can shake loose may well shake loose:
shackles, cleats, pintles, etc. When it's blowing the dog off the
chain, you'd better double check the mechanical integrity of
*everything* before going out (including yourself!).

--
//-Walt
//