Jeff Morris

Default Photos - Nelsons Flagship, Victory

"Navigator" wrote in message

C'mon, nav, be a man and admit you were wrong. Only a coward like booby

plays
the "I was trolling all along" ploy.

Well if you don't want to believe my post then so be it, but it says
more about you than me.

What does it say about me? You're the one claiming you were lying before, but
now you're telling the truth. What does that say about you?

Sorry. Do you really think I don't know the
Constitution better than anyone here?

Why? You seem to know very little about it. I kept my last boat within a few
hundred yards of the ship for 8 years; I've lived within 5 miles of her most of
my life. I've been aboard her many times; gotten tri ps on her; and special
tours. However, my brother knows more, since he's been building a detail model
of her for the last 5 years or so.

Did you know I was a 'friend' of
the Constitution?

No that's probably another troll. The navy is not permitted to solicit
donations, and the museum doesn't have a "Friend" membership. But even if its
true, what's the point? Does making a donation make you an expert?

But believe what you wish -it's all in your perception
anyway.

And the perception of everyone else. Way to go, Navsprit!

Navigator

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Navigator" wrote in message

C'mon, nav, be a man and admit you were wrong. Only a coward like booby

plays

the "I was trolling all along" ploy.

Well if you don't want to believe my post then so be it, but it says
more about you than me.

What does it say about me? You're the one claiming you were lying before, but
now you're telling the truth. What does that say about you?

Sorry. Do you really think I don't know the
Constitution better than anyone here?

Why? You seem to know very little about it. I kept my last boat within a few
hundred yards of the ship for 8 years; I've lived within 5 miles of her most of
my life. I've been aboard her many times; gotten tri ps on her; and special
tours. However, my brother knows more, since he's been building a detail model
of her for the last 5 years or so.

I had no idea we lived so close together. I may even have walked past
you on the street several times in the past few years! Is you boat at
the 'new' marina off Key St? Talking of model building you should see my
Victory!

Cheers

Navigator

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Navigator" wrote in message

C'mon, nav, be a man and admit you were wrong. Only a coward like booby

plays

the "I was trolling all along" ploy.

Well if you don't want to believe my post then so be it, but it says
more about you than me.

What does it say about me? You're the one claiming you were lying before, but
now you're telling the truth. What does that say about you?

Is the cheeky 'she's motoring you know' such a lie?

Sorry. Do you really think I don't know the
Constitution better than anyone here?

Why? You seem to know very little about it. I kept my last boat within a few
hundred yards of the ship for 8 years; I've lived within 5 miles of her most of
my life. I've been aboard her many times; gotten tri ps on her;

You got trips on the Constitution? When was that exactly? I really lived
within 0.5 miles of her for 5 years!

and special
tours. However, my brother knows more, since he's been building a detail model
of her for the last 5 years or so.

Did you know I was a 'friend' of
the Constitution?

No that's probably another troll. The navy is not permitted to solicit
donations, and the museum doesn't have a "Friend" membership. But even if its
true, what's the point? Does making a donation make you an expert?

I visited her quite often on my walks around her. There were certainly
no naval personnel there in my day. Just because she had not been
decommissioned did not mean that the Navy had any interest in her
upkeep. Given what happened to her and the desperate attempts of private
citizens (and I include myself in a very small way there) to raise
awareness of what was happening I think it was more a sense of shame
brought down on the 'powers that be' that got her to the standard she is
in now. Believe me, at one point she was only months away from bursting
open like a rotten apple -it was a terrible sight for a sailor to see!
She was closed to the public becuase she was so weak and unsafe!

But believe what you wish -it's all in your perception
anyway.

And the perception of everyone else. Way to go, Navsprit!

Jeff, I would have expected more from you than that cheap shot. Oh well.

Cheers

Navigator

Jeff Morris wrote:

I didn't know they were hiding. Are you trying to replace Booby? You seem to
be adopting his style.

I'll be honest. I think the NG had become really boring and I was not
going to post here. But I was encouraged not to abondon you all so I
though I'd try to get you all going a bit and it worked! Can you not see
how the level of interest has climbed again and how much more sailing
related chat is going on? If you do not want that then just tell me to
leave and I will -I can respect your judgement on this.

Cheers

"Navigator" wrote in message

Maybe but I got the facts out into the open didn't I?

Cheers

Jeff Morris wrote:

Wow! That's a 12,000 mile backpedal! Don't hurt yourself, Nav.

You're the one who said "You do know she's motoring?" Are you claiming

that

because there's a tow boat a mile or so away she's actually motoring?

Nav,

You're Nutz!

"Navigator" wrote in message

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Navigator" wrote in message

DSK wrote:

Navigator wrote:

You do know she's motoring?

You're showing your ignorance yet again, Navvie.

The USS Constitution does not have an engine.

No kidding? I guess that means they won't need your 'sailing' expertise.
But the engine is on another boat that always shadows her.

Dead wrong, nav. I was there. She was free of her tow lines.

Admittedly, it

was the first time in over 100 years, and may be the last, but she was

sailing

on here own, without a tow, for about an hour.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../sailsked.html

http://www.ecnnews.com/const/ironside.htm

Sorry jeff I don't see how anything I posted was wrong -unless you are
denying the motor boat -her primary source of propulsion was not in
attendence.

Cheers

DSK

Navigator wrote:
I visited her quite often on my walks around her. There were certainly
no naval personnel there in my day.

When was this?

DSK

DSK

Sorry, but you're full of baloney. The Constitution had a major refit in
the 1970s so she would not have been in such condition. I know for a
fact that she had a Navy crew throughout the 1980s because that's when I
was in the U.S. Navy.

Now, why should anybody here believe anything you say, when you tell
such lies?

DSK

Navigator wrote:

83-88.

Cheers

DSK wrote:

Navigator wrote:

I visited her quite often on my walks around her. There were
certainly no naval personnel there in my day.

When was this?

DSK

Navigator

Say what you like but I was there and you weren't. I don't know about a
refit more than a decade before that (how extensive was it I wonder?)
but I _was_ there when she was chained up opposite Phillips in the then
new inner harbor. Initially she was in good shape but no maintence was
done as far as I could see. Over the next 15 years (or so) she decayed
to the point where she had to be dismsted and steel bands placed around
her to ship her splitting open across the middle -which was also partly
due to the change in hogging stress when the masts were removed. As she
was splitting opoen serious fire pumps were put on to try to stop her
sinking and still the State and Government argued about who should pay.
Now, I can't remember any Navy crew on board -just a civilian
shop/museum. The people taking tourists around were dressed like
civilians. These are FACTS. She was described as a 'Corpse' and everyone
who knew her was appalled at the way the buck was being passed around
for her massive repair bill. If only they had maintained her...

Cheers

DSK wrote:

Sorry, but you're full of baloney. The Constitution had a major refit in
the 1970s so she would not have been in such condition. I know for a
fact that she had a Navy crew throughout the 1980s because that's when I
was in the U.S. Navy.

Now, why should anybody here believe anything you say, when you tell
such lies?

DSK

DSK

Default Boobsie, share your meds with Navvie OK?

Navigator wrote:
Say what you like but I was there and you weren't.

Oh, really?

Look here

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq68-2.htm

and here

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org...hronology.html

or

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/historyupdat.htm

In the early 1970s, the ship was given a major rebuild & refit. In 1976,
the Constitution was part of OpSail, tall ships parade, and was given
huge amounts of publicity.

You claim that less than ten years later, she was held together by metal
straps (funny how the people discussing intricate details of her
rebuilding fail to mention that), kept afloat by pumps (they don't
mention that either), not manned (maybe the Navy officers & men
stationed aboard would like to know about this) and closed to the public
(why do they say it was in fact open & on display?).

According to the Navy and several maritime historical societies, none of
what you've said is true. Anybody can verify it by simply emailing any
of the above web sites.

Navvie, did you think we were stupid enough to fall for this? A pack of
lies from start to finish.... or were you "just trolling" again?

but I _was_ there

Oh yeah, sure. And you gave the Pope advice on millinery, too.

DSK

Martin Baxter

Navigator wrote:

Well if you don't want to believe my post then so be it, but it says
more about you than me. Sorry.

When did Bob move to NZ?

Cheers
Marty