Navigator

Default Photos - Nelsons Flagship, Victory

Say what you like but I was there and you weren't. I don't know about a
refit more than a decade before that (how extensive was it I wonder?)
but I _was_ there when she was chained up opposite Phillips in the then
new inner harbor. Initially she was in good shape but no maintence was
done as far as I could see. Over the next 15 years (or so) she decayed
to the point where she had to be dismsted and steel bands placed around
her to ship her splitting open across the middle -which was also partly
due to the change in hogging stress when the masts were removed. As she
was splitting opoen serious fire pumps were put on to try to stop her
sinking and still the State and Government argued about who should pay.
Now, I can't remember any Navy crew on board -just a civilian
shop/museum. The people taking tourists around were dressed like
civilians. These are FACTS. She was described as a 'Corpse' and everyone
who knew her was appalled at the way the buck was being passed around
for her massive repair bill. If only they had maintained her...

Cheers

DSK wrote:

Sorry, but you're full of baloney. The Constitution had a major refit in
the 1970s so she would not have been in such condition. I know for a
fact that she had a Navy crew throughout the 1980s because that's when I
was in the U.S. Navy.

Now, why should anybody here believe anything you say, when you tell
such lies?

DSK