Scott Vernon

Default Photos - Nelsons Flagship, Victory

Suppose something happens and she sinks. How would you feel then? Rember
what happened to Pride of Baltimore?

Scotty

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
.net...
Hey Joe,

I think the Constitution should be sailed from port to port and put
on display evey year, instead of sitting at a dock. It's not much
better than Victory in permament dry dock--A sad state for a ship
of the line.

I'm embarassed to say that even Ole Ironsides, athough sailing, does
not have full suit of sails. We could do better for her too.

Bart

Joe wrote

Unfit for sea ya say Bart!
I thought the Brit's had pride in Englands naval past.

It's always nice to see ol Ironsides offsho
http://www.sheriff.co.wise.tx.us/cuf.../ironsides.jpg

She's clearly cared for properly, still a US Navy ship of the line.

Joe

Scott Vernon

When the tall ships came to Balt. in 2000, I recall one country had a much
larger flag than the rest of the fleet. I took that as showing their pride,
but then, I'm not jealous of other countries.

I believe it was Columbia.

for a pic.: http://www.sailbaltimore.org/opsail/ships.htm

Scotty

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Nah...... he probably saw the Eagle at dock with it's obnoxious 20x40
foot American Flag flying off the stern and got as upset about it as most

of
the visitors in Halifax did on the last Tall Ships.

My 11 year old nephew's response when he saw that giant flag was " who the
heck do they think they are flying that big a flag in OUR country!!??"...

explained they were Yankees and suffered a major identity crisis so they
needed to lord their country over everybody to prove it had value.

He still has a major hate on for American attitude...... way to go USA.

;-)

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| Thanks for the site, Jeff. Cool pics.
|
| Nav must be choking on his anti-American jealousy.
|
| Scotty
|
| "Jeff Morris" wrote in message
|
| "Navigator" wrote in message
|

| DSK wrote:
|
| Navigator wrote:
|
| You do know she's motoring?
|

| You're showing your ignorance yet again, Navvie.
|
| The USS Constitution does not have an engine.
|

| No kidding? I guess that means they won't need your 'sailing'
expertise.
| But the engine is on another boat that always shadows her.
|

| Dead wrong, nav. I was there. She was free of her tow lines.
| Admittedly, it
| was the first time in over 100 years, and may be the last, but she was
| sailing
| on here own, without a tow, for about an hour.
|
| http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../sailsked.html
|
| http://www.ecnnews.com/const/ironside.htm

Joe

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Cool links, thanks. BTW it seemed (and still seems) to me that to spend
all that money on sails, and not sail her more, is a real shame.

She does carry sail several times a year, but not free of the tug.

I read
that her suit includes main & mizzen staysails, and would eventually
include stun'sls. Any idea if this came true?

Not that I know of.

Seems to me that Old
Ironsides would be an outstanding training vessel, and even more
outstanding to show the flag around the world's ports. We should get our
money's worth out of her!

.. Let the Eagle do the goodwill tours - she's
replaceable!

Your in deep **** now if the USCG ever reads that line and connect it
to you and your tug ;o)

Joe

Here's an interesting link to the materials used for the refit, including the
sails.
http://www.maritime.org/conf/conf-otton-mat.htm

At the American Textile History Museum in Lowell Ma they have some antique looms
that were used to recreate some of the fabrics on the ship (not the sails, which
were a special 15 oz polyester). I was facinated watching the old loom run, but
I couldn't imagine what it wold be like to have a few hundred running at the
same time for 14 hours!

Jeff Morris

"Joe" wrote in message
. Let the Eagle do the goodwill tours - she's
replaceable!

Your in deep **** now if the USCG ever reads that line and connect it
to you and your tug ;o)

All we'd have to do is declare war on Romania and snarf the Mircea.

But seriously, I think anyone in the CG would be willing to sacrifice the Eagle
to preserve the Constitution.

Capt. Mooron

No.. that was your flag on the Eagle..... and I stand corrected.... the
Flag was actually 40' x 60'!!!

I mean REALLY!!!! where do you draw the line between 'pride' and
arrogance?

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| When the tall ships came to Balt. in 2000, I recall one country had a much
| larger flag than the rest of the fleet. I took that as showing their
pride,
| but then, I'm not jealous of other countries.

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
No.. that was your flag on the Eagle..... and I stand corrected.... the
Flag was actually 40' x 60'!!!

Look at the web site I posted.
http://www.sailbaltimore.org/opsail/ships.htm

I mean REALLY!!!! where do you draw the line between 'pride' and
arrogance?

*WE* don't have to!

SV

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| When the tall ships came to Balt. in 2000, I recall one country had a

much
| larger flag than the rest of the fleet. I took that as showing their
pride,
| but then, I'm not jealous of other countries.

Navigator

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Navigator" wrote in message

DSK wrote:

Navigator wrote:

You do know she's motoring?

You're showing your ignorance yet again, Navvie.

The USS Constitution does not have an engine.

No kidding? I guess that means they won't need your 'sailing' expertise.
But the engine is on another boat that always shadows her.

Dead wrong, nav. I was there. She was free of her tow lines. Admittedly, it
was the first time in over 100 years, and may be the last, but she was sailing
on here own, without a tow, for about an hour.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../sailsked.html

http://www.ecnnews.com/const/ironside.htm

Sorry jeff I don't see how anything I posted was wrong -unless you are
denying the motor boat -her primary source of propulsion was not in
attendence.

Cheers

Navigator

Scott Vernon wrote:

Thanks for the site, Jeff. Cool pics.

Nav must be choking on his anti-American jealousy.

Jealous? No way! Perhaps you would like to consider why she is/was
considered to be unseaworthy?

Cheers

Navigator

Not just pumps -fire pumps! And steel belts to stop her splitting open.
At the time I wrote to the mayor pointing how appalling her state was
and questioned how such a rich country not afford to maintain it's few
historical relics and connection founding history. It seemed that the
explanation resided in a lack of clear lines of responsibility between
state and federal for historical items. Meanwhile she just decayed more
and more rapidly.

Cheers

Jeff Morris wrote:

Wow, a 200 year old wooden ship with pumps running! What are the odds?

"Navigator" wrote in message

No it wasn't. It was splitting open like a rotten egg and was being
braced by steel bands with fire pumps running 24/7. I was there -I
walked past her every day...

Cheers

Jeff Morris wrote:

Negative, Nav. The U.S.S. Constitution doesn't have a motor, and when that

shot

was taken she was free of her tow line, sailing on her own. Ten years ago

she

was in dry dock for a long planned restoration. It was intended to be only
limited work, but after an inspection it was decided to do a full

restoration.

However, it would be unfair to say it "had nearly sunk from neglect," since

the

hull was relatively sound.

"Navigator" wrote in message

You do know she's motoring? 10 years ago she had nearly sunk from neglect.

Cheers

Joe wrote:

"Bart Senior" wrote in message

.cv.net...

It's one of those trailer sailors, that you don't dare take out on the
water.

Nelson, if he was alive, would be sad to see this glorious vessel
unfit for the sea.

Unfit for sea ya say Bart!
I thought the Brit's had pride in Englands naval past.

It's always nice to see ol Ironsides offsho
http://www.sheriff.co.wise.tx.us/cuf.../ironsides.jpg

She's clearly cared for properly, still a US Navy ship of the line.

Joe

Bart Senior

Icarus wrote

Hi

Have a look at these great pictures of Nelsons Flagship "Victory" at
Portsmouth, England.

Comments welcome.

http://y2u.co.uk/&002_Images/Victory%20Nelson%2001.htm