Scott Vernon

Default Hull Speed, Cal, O'Day 34

How far can you see with that one?

"Bobsprit" wrote

Not an "expert" but I've been an avid amatuer for 20 years. I currently

use a
Celestron 9.25. I do most of my observing in PA where darker skies still
prevail. I used to use a Dynascope RV6, Celestron 8 and Questar Duplex.

I've
used a lot of scopes and do consider myself an armchair expert when it

comes to
scope buying.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Like I said... an expert and a WINNER.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Incidentally, are you also an astronomy expert? That happens to be one
of my intersts, and I plan on being at the TSP again this year.

Not an "expert" but I've been an avid amatuer for 20 years. I currently

use a
Celestron 9.25. I do most of my observing in PA where darker skies still
prevail. I used to use a Dynascope RV6, Celestron 8 and Questar Duplex.

I've
used a lot of scopes and do consider myself an armchair expert when it

comes to
scope buying.

RB

The Carrolls

No he is not.
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Bob is an expert at everything.

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Bobsprit wrote:

The Cal is the better boat all around. Since you didn't even look at

the
SA/D
ratios of the rigs, I'd have to say you have quite a bit more to

learn.
Do some more reading. Looking at waterline is like a 1st time

telescope
buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

RB

How do you compute sail area for this ratio, since the area would vary
significantly depending on what sails were set?

Incidentally, are you also an astronomy expert? That happens to be one
of my intersts, and I plan on being at the TSP again this year.
Jim

Thom Stewart

Jim,

The Cal will do a horizon job on the O'Day. That doesn't mean the O'Day
is a Slug. The Cal is a pretty fast boat. I've sail in a fleet with a
Cal 34 sail by a club member. He put new sails on her and won the
"TransPac" overall on handicap. It is also a better built vessel and
cruises well.

So does the O'Day ( Cruise Well) but in my mind, the Cal is a better
boat. As you say, the O'day is roomier and it certainly not a badly
built vessel. It may be the but for you. They don't have to apologise
for quality or sailing ability but isn't in the same class with the Cal
34.

Ole Thom
P/S got your post about "The Institute" I'm afraid I am quite a bit
before your time. My biggest memory is the Library there and the
thickness of those wall at the Gun port/windows.

Ole Thom

Jeff Morris

I wouldn't argue with your claim that the Cal is better built than the O'Day,
which I've always considered a notch or two below Pearsons, etc. in quality.
But I'm not sure the Cal is faster in general conditions. In fact, its PHRF is
about 20 to 25 point higher. I think the O'Day would hold its own very nicely,
while giving a more comfortable ride.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

DSK

Jeff Morris wrote:
I wouldn't argue with your claim that the Cal is better built than the O'Day,
which I've always considered a notch or two below Pearsons, etc. in quality.

O'Day build quality varied a lot over the years. Actually so did
Pearson, they were each owned by several different companies over time
and built in several different facilities.

The O'Days I have most experience with are the smaller ones, except for
the center cockpit 37. That boat is built very solidly, but the details
and fitting out leave something to be desired. Some of their smaller
boats were quite well done. Others were flimsy crap. Seemed to vary
widely and I don't know what years (or corporate ownership) were the
good ones.

In general, I agree that Pearsons are a bit above the average for
mass-produced boats, in some regards. Cal also, and more consistent...

But I'm not sure the Cal is faster in general conditions. In fact, its PHRF is
about 20 to 25 point higher. I think the O'Day would hold its own very nicely,
while giving a more comfortable ride.

The O'Day probably has a considerably more optimized cabin layout too.
They adopted some innovations that Cal ignored.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

But I'm not sure the Cal is faster in general conditions. In fact, its PHRF is
about 20 to 25 point higher. I think the O'Day would hold its own very nicely,
while giving a more comfortable ride.

The Oday is faster in most conditions.

RB
Donal

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

After all the interesting, thoughtful, considerate, helpful, balanced,
discussions regarding the Mac26M, I'm still looking at different
options. There seem to be some great buys on larger boats in our area,

snip
Comments, suggestions, or recommendations regarding these or other
similar boats will be appreciated.

You need to keep looking.

When you find the boat that is right for you, you will want it so badly,
that you will get stomach cramps.

If you feel the need to seek our opinions, then you haven't found the boat
that is right for *you*.

Regards

Donal