Jim Cate

Default Hull Speed, Cal, O'Day 34

After all the interesting, thoughtful, considerate, helpful, balanced,
discussions regarding the Mac26M, I'm still looking at different
options. There seem to be some great buys on larger boats in our area,
and in the same price range as the Mac 26 or lower, there are some nice
boats in the 32 to 34 foot range. I prefer a responsive, relatively
fast coastal cruiser rather than a heavy, ocean passage blue water boat,
and the Cal 34's and O'Day 34's seem to meet those requisites. There are
also some C&C's, Catalinas, Columbias, Hunters, etc., in the same
general price range, and others, such as the Sabres, Newports, Benetau,
Cheoy Lee, etc, that seem to be more expensive.

As far as cruising speed in typical ( e.g., 15 - 20 knot) winds, under
full normal jib and main, average load, and equally experienced
captains, etc., would there be a significant difference in speed or
handling between the Cal and O'Day, both being in good condition and
similarly equipped? The (1978) Cal 34-III has a waterline of 26 ft, and
the (1983) O'Day has a 28'9" waterline, according to the spec sheets.
Plugging this into the formula (square root of wl times 1.34), I get a
predicted hull speed for the O'Day of around 7.185 knots, and 6.833
knots for the Cal. In actual practice, would this be close to what I
would see under most cruising conditions? The O'Day, at 11,500 lb., is
slightly heavier than the Cal and has a draft of 5'7", LOA 34, beam
11'3", compared with 10,200 lb., draft 4'9", LOA 33'6", and beam 9'3"
for the Cal.

Can anyone provide some comments on or comparisons of the sailing
characteristics of these two boats? It's my understanding that the Cal
may be somewhat more of a racing boat, responsive but a bit more tender,
and the O'Day may be a little stiffer but steady under heavy winds. For
example, I recall seeing over 9 knots on a 40-ft Valiant we sailed in
the Gulf under 15-20 knot winds, which I think was more than its
predicted hull speed.

Comments, suggestions, or recommendations regarding these or other
similar boats will be appreciated.

Jim

Bobsprit

The Cal is the better boat all around. Since you didn't even look at the SA/D
ratios of the rigs, I'd have to say you have quite a bit more to learn.
Do some more reading. Looking at waterline is like a 1st time telescope buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

RB

Scott Vernon

"Bobsprit" wrote ...
Looking at waterline is like a 1st time telescope buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

or a boat buyer asking ''how high can a stern ladder be?''.

Jeff Morris

The Cal may be a better made boat, but the O'Day is much larger, and might
possibly be a more comfortable cruiser, and might even be faster in stronger
winds. The SA/Disp would give the Cal a boost in light air, but I think the
O'Day would walk away on a typical race course.

However, what's the real goal? Being 10 seconds faster per mile only gets you
to an anchorage a few minutes earlier. What's the purpose of this boat? Is it
racing, or taking the grandkids out for a cruise? If its the latter, than
issues like the size of the cockpit and stiffness may be more important.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
The Cal is the better boat all around. Since you didn't even look at the SA/D
ratios of the rigs, I'd have to say you have quite a bit more to learn.
Do some more reading. Looking at waterline is like a 1st time telescope buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

RB

John Cairns

If you know how to interpret the #'s, try this instead, they do most of the
calculations for you.
http://www.phrf-nb.org/year2002/ratings/PHRFratings.htm
John Cairns
"Jim Cate" wrote in message

[...]

Jim Cate

Bobsprit wrote:

The Cal is the better boat all around. Since you didn't even look at the SA/D
ratios of the rigs, I'd have to say you have quite a bit more to learn.
Do some more reading. Looking at waterline is like a 1st time telescope buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

RB

How do you compute sail area for this ratio, since the area would vary
significantly depending on what sails were set?

Incidentally, are you also an astronomy expert? That happens to be one
of my intersts, and I plan on being at the TSP again this year.
Jim

Bobsprit

Incidentally, are you also an astronomy expert? That happens to be one
of my intersts, and I plan on being at the TSP again this year.

Not an "expert" but I've been an avid amatuer for 20 years. I currently use a
Celestron 9.25. I do most of my observing in PA where darker skies still
prevail. I used to use a Dynascope RV6, Celestron 8 and Questar Duplex. I've
used a lot of scopes and do consider myself an armchair expert when it comes to
scope buying.

RB
Bobsprit

SA/D is generally based on a 100% jib, unless otherwise indicated. It's just
one additional piece of the puzzle when roughly predicting how a given design
will perform.

http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__sad_ratio.htm

RB