JAXAshby

Default Hull Speed, Cal, O'Day 34

"we" kemosabee? are *you* pregnant?

We understand perfectly what you are.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Sure do, you can't make civil discussion , nor can you handle data in
conflict with your antequated ideas. I am sure the casual observer can

tell
the real fool here. It may even be me, but I doubt it.

you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.

you're a fool.
you're a fool.

Understand?

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
you need to be told six or eight times before you have a chance of
understanding once.

you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.
you're a fool.

you're a fool.
you're a fool.

Understand?

From: "The Carrolls"
Date: 3/6/2004 11:40 PM Eastern Standard Time
You're repeating your self again old fella.
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
like I said, you are a wet dream for all the unscrupulous brokers in
the
land.

Let me add, "Deservedly so".

Never said any thing about a broker. Never said "fine investment "

or
"recover your money." Didn't say don't depreciate much, but Odays
don't,
they are generally too old to depreciate much.. Did say "Holding

their
price
nicely," most 20 to 25 year old boats do. You should do research
before
shooting your mouth off, figuratively speaking
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
like I said, dude, you are the wet dream of every unscrupulous

yacht
broker in
the land. "don't depreciate much", "fine investment", "recover

your
money".
Then the broker calls home and tells his wife they are going out

dinner
that
night. She says, "Another one?". He say, "Yup".

Again you show the depth of you intelect and quality of your
research.
20
year old boats don't depreciate much.
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
boy, you guys are the wet dream of every dishonest yacht

broker
out
there.

Nope, they have been holding price nicely as of late. Also

very
few
seem
come to market, compared to the numbers built and other
manufacturers
with
similar numbers.
wrote in message
.. .
On 05 Mar 2004 22:01:22 GMT,
(Bobsprit)

Scott Vernon

you worried, jax?

"JAXAshby" wrote ...
"we" kemosabee? are *you* pregnant?

We understand perfectly what you are.
--
"j" ganz @@

Jonathan Ganz

Obviously, you want to have sex with guys. I'm not interested,
but I'm sure you can get what you want if you try hard enough
(no pun intended).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

From: "The Carrolls"
Date: 3/6/2004 11:40 PM Eastern Standard Time

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
boy, you guys are the wet dream of every dishonest yacht

broker
out
there.

Nope, they have been holding price nicely as of late. Also

very
few
seem
come to market, compared to the numbers built and other
manufacturers
with
similar numbers.
wrote in message
.. .
On 05 Mar 2004 22:01:22 GMT,
(Bobsprit)

Jonathan Ganz

Hahahaa... he must have mistaken me for his boyfriend.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
you worried, jax?

"JAXAshby" wrote ...
"we" kemosabee? are *you* pregnant?

We understand perfectly what you are.
--
"j" ganz @@

Donal

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

If you feel the need to seek our opinions, then you haven't found the

boat
that is right for *you*.

snip
Delilah has a relatively shallow draft, under 5 feet, which would be
advantageous in our bay complex. This is the *** III model, which I
understand was a later production run that incorporated some
improvements over the earlier models. I think that it would be somewhat
more tender than the O'Day, but probably more fun to sail in light to
medium winds. The problem, again, is that it would take 5 hours to
motor down to Galveston and get to some blue water, and, for several
reasons, leaving it at a marina in Galveston introduces some problems.

I don't know the area at all. I assume that you are up a river?????

My experience suggests that you are much better off if you can keep the boat
near your sailing area.

I used to keep my boat in a truly beautiful location, at the top of
Chichester Harbour. The whole area is a protected nature reserve. However,
it took an hour to get to the sea (and another to get back).

We moved to a marina that is 100 yards from the sea because I realised that
we would use the boat much more. The main effect of the move, is that our
sailing season has changed from 6 months to 12 months. We can now go for a
sail when the weather is a bit "iffy" because it is easier to turn back. In
the old marina, we didn't bother going out if there was a possibility that
the weather could turn, because we might not even get to the sea before we
would have to turn back.

You mentioned earlier that you were hoping to take some kids out sailing.
IMHO, they are unlikely to cope with 10 hours of travelling to and from the
sailing area. Also, you wouldn't get much use out of the boat if it took
5 hours just to reach the sea.

I think that I'm beginning to see why you were leaning towards the Mac25.
You really need two boats. One for pottering around the river(??), and
another for some blue water sailing. Maybe a compromise will suit you, but
I think that you would end up with a boat that wasn't very well suited to
either purpose.

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley

Except routers.

In article , Jonathan Ganz
wrote:

Bob is an expert at everything.

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Bobsprit wrote:

The Cal is the better boat all around. Since you didn't even look at the

SA/D
ratios of the rigs, I'd have to say you have quite a bit more to learn.
Do some more reading. Looking at waterline is like a 1st time telescope

buyer
asking "how far a scope can see."

RB

How do you compute sail area for this ratio, since the area would vary
significantly depending on what sails were set?

Incidentally, are you also an astronomy expert? That happens to be one
of my intersts, and I plan on being at the TSP again this year.
Jim

Martin Baxter

Jim Cate wrote:

Actually, I am tempted by a nice '78 34-ft Cal that's seems to be in
good condition and that's being offered at a reasonable price. This
boat is christened "Delilah," and the temptation is really getting to
me. (Guess I should be careful not to let my hair grow too long!) There
are also several other boats in this price range.

And how is Janet? Did she look after the boat well?

Cheers
Marty

Jim Cate

Donal wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

If you feel the need to seek our opinions, then you haven't found the

boat

that is right for *you*.

snip

Delilah has a relatively shallow draft, under 5 feet, which would be
advantageous in our bay complex. This is the *** III model, which I
understand was a later production run that incorporated some
improvements over the earlier models. I think that it would be somewhat
more tender than the O'Day, but probably more fun to sail in light to
medium winds. The problem, again, is that it would take 5 hours to
motor down to Galveston and get to some blue water, and, for several
reasons, leaving it at a marina in Galveston introduces some problems.

I don't know the area at all. I assume that you are up a river?????

We are in the Kemah-Clear Lake area, between Houston and Galveston,
which is on the gulf. Most of the marinas here are on waters that open
to Galveston bay, and most sailing is done in the bay,. (I think this
area is third or fourth in the country as far as the number of boats
kept in various marinas.) To get to the Gulf and blue water, however, we
have to sail down the ship channel for about 25 miles and then out
between the jetties for several miles. So, there are some sailing areas
here in the bay that are convenient, but blue water sailing takes
several days. About 95% of boat owners in the area leave their boats in
the Kemah area rather than in Galveston, because of the convenience
factor, the danger of hurricanes and other issues.

Jim

[...]

Donal

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
in various marinas.) To get to the Gulf and blue water, however, we
have to sail down the ship channel for about 25 miles and then out
between the jetties for several miles. So, there are some sailing areas
here in the bay that are convenient, but blue water sailing takes
several days. About 95% of boat owners in the area leave their boats in
the Kemah area rather than in Galveston, because of the convenience
factor, the danger of hurricanes and other issues.

So why do you need to keep your boat so far inland?

Regards

Donal