JAXAshby

Default Best small Cruisers Under 10K

And Jax's
definition seems to be... well, I'm not sure but it seems to include being
very
heavy, slow,

I define "cruising" as being on large bodies of water, not motoring from one
anchorage to the next as might interest an owner of a spacious bay sailor.

and recommended by legions of salty-seeming wanna-bees.

few people think of John Vigor as a "salty-seeming wanna-bee", even though
motor/anchor/baysailors often define as such anyone who pulls sails up and
leave sight of land for more than 60 minutes.
DSK

JAXAshby wrote:

I define "cruising" as being on large bodies of water,

Good grief, that could include Boobsie...

not motoring from one
anchorage to the next as might interest an owner of a spacious bay sailor.

Until I got a motorboat I very rarely 'motored from one anchorage to the next.'
However you seem to have an irrational grudge against roomy comfortable boats.
Just one of many irrational things about you, prob'ly.

and recommended by legions of salty-seeming wanna-bees.

few people think of John Vigor as a "salty-seeming wanna-bee", even though
motor/anchor/baysailors often define as such anyone who pulls sails up and
leave sight of land for more than 60 minutes.

Uh, no. I would define a "salty-seeming wanna-be" a person such as yourself, who
raves about the seaworthiness of boats he's never sailed, and has ambitions to
sail long distances in rough weather to just prove how manly they are, and
somehow never actually goes sailing.

John Vigor isn't a wanna-be. But a lot of people who never leave their slips
rave about the seaworthiness of some boats, including Cape Dories. Not the boats
fault... but that doesn't make it any better either. I happen to like Cape
Dories... but since I have really sailed them, I recognize that 1- they are
quite small inside, with limited stowage and 2- they are slow. They are nice
looking boats and quite solidly built. But most of the folks I know who have
really cruised them (including a few passages) have sold them to get bigger
boats... oftne the next size bigger Cape Dory.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

most of the folks I know who have
really cruised them (including a few passages) have sold them to get bigger
boats... oftne the next size bigger Cape Dory.

this is true of most every boat owner who feels he has cruised his boat, except
Hunter owners. They give up the life or get a different boat. Hunter 19
owners never cruise at all.

btw dougies, wanna tell us how much more space a Hunter 19 has compared to a
Folkboat? How about passage miles difference between the two?
DSK

JAXAshby wrote:

btw dougies, wanna tell us how much more space a Hunter 19 has compared to a
Folkboat?

Actually, the H-19 does have more room. Probably about the same stowage.
Here's a test... go aboard a Folkboat and invite two couples (average sized
adults) to sit in the salon and have hot drinks. If you can lean back, relax, and
not have somebody elses elbows or knees jutting into you, then the room is at least
comparable.

However, I've been in a Folkboat and I don't see this happening...

How about passage miles difference between the two?

I calculated a few years back that we'd sailed 960 miles in the Hunter, and made a
rough figure that we'd trailered it 15,000. We've probably at least doubled that
since.

But of course, by your definition Hunter 19s never cruise. Which of course leaves
on wondering how you explain this

http://community.webshots.com/album/37908878jiBMxv

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:

there have it folks, another owner of a flyweight baysailor proclaiming to one
and all that space, space, space and more space defines a boat's capability to
sail.

Please quote the post where I said this...

BTW we're still waiting for you to post a link to the chart showng rocks at Cape
Hattaras. And a Japanese sub shelling Seattle... and a lot of other things.

Are you posting all this malarkey to make up for accidentally being right about
something last week?

DSK

JAXAshby

I calculated a few years back that we'd sailed 960 miles in the Hunter,

I made a little less than double that on a single OPB trip last summer. Close
to that in my own boat in Oct/Nov just loafing along enjoying the scenery and
stops.

FWIW dougie, a couple of years ago a 75 year old man crossed the North Atlantic
east to west in a Folkboat. Know anyone at all -- let alone one 75 years --
who has crossed the NA in a Hunter 19 in either direction?
DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
I made a little less than double that on a single OPB trip last summer. Close
to that in my own boat in Oct/Nov just loafing along enjoying the scenery and
stops.

And everybody believes that, Jax. Honestly they do. Even if it does bear some
resemblance to truth, how does that make the Hunter 19 worse?

FWIW dougie, a couple of years ago a 75 year old man crossed the North Atlantic
east to west in a Folkboat. Know anyone at all -- let alone one 75 years --
who has crossed the NA in a Hunter 19 in either direction?

Crossing oceans is not the only way to evaluate a cruising boat. When was the last
time a Folkboat... or your boat... spent a 3 day weekend cruising comfortably in
pleasant sailing waters 275 miles away from it's home slip? Or a weeks vacation
over 600 miles away? That's on top of thoroughly exploring home waters, of course.

If you include the characteristic of 'trailerability' then the Hunter 19 becomes a
great cruising boat, and the Folkboat drops off the list. And if your less than 75
years old and have to work for a living, the time constraints make that highly
desirable.

Wait, look at me trying to talk sense to Jax. Phooey.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

how does that make the Hunter 19 worse?

you're right. it's comparing roller skates to sportscars.

When was the last
time ... or your boat... spent a 3 day weekend cruising comfortably
in pleasant sailing waters 275 miles away from it's home slip?

2003

Or a weeks vacation
over 600 miles away?

2003

my boat is nearly a thousand miles from where is was last spring. would be
farther but I had a business issue to take care of.
Suzy Brody

I almost bought a Hunter 19. Cute boat, sailed nice, top quality
construction. Only problem was my boyfriend wss too fat to enter the
cabin.

Suzy