Bobsprit

Default Best small Cruisers Under 10K

My list...while avoiding very, very old boats....

Bristol 27
Catalina 27
Cape Dory 25 (70s model)
C&C 25 (70s)
Pearson 25

RB

JAXAshby

add in the small Westerly's, Cheoy Lee's and sometimes you can find a Contessa
for that price.

Bristol 27
Catalina 27
Cape Dory 25 (70s model)
C&C 25 (70s)
Pearson 25

RB

Bobsprit

Many of the older Cals. Fantastic boats, very inexpensive.

I always liked the older Cal 28. I'm currently selling a newer version, but I
liked the huge interior of the original. I had a friend who owned one and it
sailed quite well, even with tired sails.

RB
DSK

Bobsprit wrote:

My list...while avoiding very, very old boats....

Bristol 27

Shucks, what about a Bristol 30? Or a Tartan 27?

Catalina 27

Malarkey. Not on anybody's list of "best" unless you gotta go with a
crowd. They are widely available and better than some.

Cape Dory 25 (70s model)
C&C 25 (70s)

Why not a newer 27?

Pearson 25

Too small. The Cape Dory 25 is barely a weekender. And rather than
avoiding "very very old" what you want to avoid is "poorly maintained"
boats. It would be better to have a properly kept 35 year old boat
than a beat-up and neglected 5 year old one. Of course, that assume
knowledge about such things...

Here's a nice little heavy displacement English design
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/65557108.htm

A Seafarer... smaller sistership to one a friend of ours has
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/0/66440920.htm

To call this boat 31' is a bit deceptive, IIRC about 5' of that is the
clipper bow. But they are really cool boats and capable small
cruisers.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/8/62482218.htm

Islander 30... a Bob Perry design, sails well and properly built
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/6/33415976.htm

My family had a protoype of one of these... now *this* is a great
boat... actually I'm bummed to see one pop up at this price...
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/45636682.htm

Here's a boat I don't like all that much myself, but others have raved
about
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1189436

I was a little surprised to see a Sabre 28 pop up on the listings in
this price range. Also a Scampi 30 which is really a racing boat but
is certainly capable of being cruised.

Other boats that may pop up are the Morgan 30 (the CCA model, not the
OI) or for that matter, the Morgan 27 which I mentioned just the other
day. There are also Tanzers, Ericsons, Hughes, Rhodes, Paceship,
Dufour.... Any of these is likely to be better built and better
performing than a Catalina, Pearson, Cal, Columbia, or Hunter of
similar age & condition. IMHO the mass-produced boat are average, not
built for serious sailing (except for racing as one-designs), and
while many of them are nice boats, they are not "great."

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

Catalina 27

Malarkey. Not on anybody's list of "best" unless you gotta go with a
crowd. They are widely available and better than some.

a c-27 is listed in Vigor's "20 Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere".

Too small. The Cape Dory 25 is barely a weekender.

A CD-25 is much bigger than a Folkbote, a design considered one of the most
seaworthy boats out on the sea.

If the idea of "cruising" is crossing large bodies of water, a CD-25D (also
listed in Vigor's book) is a boat that works. On the other hand, if "cruising"
is motoring from one anchorage to another, then a Bucaneer 28 is a cruising
boat.

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:

a c-27 is listed in Vigor's "20 Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere".

A Catalina 27 won't take one "anywhere." They are relatively nice boats, and
readily available... but that doesn't make them great.

Too small. The Cape Dory 25 is barely a weekender.

A CD-25 is much bigger than a Folkbote, a design considered one of the most
seaworthy boats out on the sea.

And torture to cruise in. I've been on a couple of overnights in Folkboats. Unless
you are either extremely small and/or extremely limber and also claustrophilic,
they are not great cruisers. OTOH if I met somebody who was shopping for a cruising
boat in this size/price range, who decided they really liked the Folkboat, I
wouldn't try to talk them out of it.... I'd just talk them into getting in & out of
the cabin a few times to try it out. They are fun boats to sail, which is a big
plus in my book.

If the idea of "cruising" is crossing large bodies of water, a CD-25D (also
listed in Vigor's book) is a boat that works.

Sure. But once again (why do you miss the point so much) that doesn't make it "The
Best." Of the boats I listed, all would be capable of making passages in skilled
hands. All would be better able to carry a load of stores, and considerably more
comfortable after any length of time aboard.

On the other hand, if "cruising"
is motoring from one anchorage to another, then a Bucaneer 28 is a cruising
boat.

So is a 36' tugboat! Now, which one is better?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

felton

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:14:30 -0500, DSK wrote:

Bobsprit wrote:

[...]

Bong! You are thinking of the Islander 28. I agree the 28 would be
worth looking at, though. Bob Finch designed the 30 and I enjoyed
that boat and there are quite a number of freshwater boats available.
I owned an Islander 30 for 9 years and had a lot of great times in
that boat, in spite of my limited math skills

My family had a protoype of one of these... now *this* is a great
boat... actually I'm bummed to see one pop up at this price...
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/45636682.htm

Here's a boat I don't like all that much myself, but others have raved
about
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1189436

I was a little surprised to see a Sabre 28 pop up on the listings in
this price range. Also a Scampi 30 which is really a racing boat but
is certainly capable of being cruised.

There are a lot of great deals around on Sabre 28s. I know of one
that is about to come on the market in the Detroit area. 2 owner,
freshwater, recently repowered, in great shape for $23k. A LOT of
value for not much money.

Other boats that may pop up are the Morgan 30 (the CCA model, not the
OI) or for that matter, the Morgan 27 which I mentioned just the other
day. There are also Tanzers, Ericsons, Hughes, Rhodes, Paceship,
Dufour.... Any of these is likely to be better built and better
performing than a Catalina, Pearson, Cal, Columbia, or Hunter of
similar age & condition. IMHO the mass-produced boat are average, not
built for serious sailing (except for racing as one-designs), and
while many of them are nice boats, they are not "great."

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

felton wrote:

Bong! You are thinking of the Islander 28. I agree the 28 would be
worth looking at, though. Bob Finch designed the 30 and I enjoyed
that boat and there are quite a number of freshwater boats available.
I owned an Islander 30 for 9 years and had a lot of great times in
that boat, in spite of my limited math skills

Oops... sorry. It's hard to keep track of all the boats Bob Perry designed. I
apologize for the mistake, I certainly wasn't trying to take any credit away from
Bob Finch who also designed a lot of good boats... mostly racier ones like the
Mirages IIRC.

We have some friends who just finished up a fairly lengthy cruise on an Islander
30... and then went out and took second in class in a good size regatta. I'd
consider that credentials for being a 'great' boat!

I was a little surprised to see a Sabre 28 pop up on the listings in
this price range.

There are a lot of great deals around on Sabre 28s. I know of one
that is about to come on the market in the Detroit area. 2 owner,
freshwater, recently repowered, in great shape for $23k. A LOT of
value for not much money.

Yes, that's why I was surprised to see one for under $10K. I wonder if it's
trashed.

I just felt compelled to post a list of boats that would be quite good for
cruising, that one wouldn't necessarily be able to find 3 for sale within 5 miles
of ones house. That seems to be Boobsie's definition of 'great.' And Jax's
definition seems to be... well, I'm not sure but it seems to include being very
heavy, slow, and recommended by legions of salty-seeming wanna-bees.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King