Simple Simon

Default New Bahamas rules great for small cruisers

Dear Group,

The likelihood of any of you wannabes ever sailing to the Bahamas
is very small but just in case there's a lurker or two out there who
in considering going to or going back to the Bahamas let it be known
that the costs have increased fifty percent for boats under 35 feet
and TRIPLED or more for boats 35 feet and over. Here it is in
a nutshell.

"As of 1 July 2003 the costs of a cruising permit for the Bahamas are
as follows: - $150 for all vessels under 35 feet - $300 for vessels
over 35 feet. - $150 for dinghys/tenders over 18 feet. A cruising
permit is issued for 12 months. If a yacht leaves the Bahamas during
that period it cannot return on the same cruising permit but a new
cruising permit must be obtained for the above fees.

"The cruising permit fees cover the Captain and 3 crew members.
Any additional crew members over 6 years old must pay $15 per
person. Included in the cruising permit fee is a 3 month fishing license.
Extensions to this cost an additional $150 for 12 months. Also
included is a $15 exit/departure fee for four individuals.There are
no overtime or other charges, although transportation fees might be
levied at the discretion of the clearing officer if he uses his personal
vehicle to travel to the yacht's location. The skipper should ask for
an official receipt for all fees paid.

"Entry into the Bahamas must be made at one of the official ports of
entry. The Q flag should be flown within three miles of the port and
no one should go ashore until pratique has been granted. Clearance
must be done on arrival, and officers are on call at all hours. The
Bahamas can be transited without clearing in until one arrives at a
port of entry at a convenient time, but during transit one should not
enter a port or go ashore."

******************

This is good news for us small boat cruisers who have become fed
up with the proliferation of large boats - particularly those obnoxious
sport fishermen types. It means most of them will have to pay 300
bucks to get their motorboat in and another 150 to get their large
dinghys in and another 150 bucks for a fishing license if they stay
over three months. I'm hoping many of them will balk at paying
$450 for a short stay and $600 for an extended stay. Also, boats
over 30 feet have to buy a US customs sticker for an additional 25
bucks to clear US customs on the return trip.

This is very good news because it will encourage the use of
smaller, more environmentally friendly motor and sailboats and
discourage the huge pollution machines that scrape and scour
the shallows in so many places around the Bahamas not to mention
fouling the air with their exhaust fumes from motors and generators.

Good going you Bahamians, protect your beautiful little country
from those who would abuse the environment and overstay
their welcome. Make 'em pay and pay dearly for their lack
of respect for your country and the environment as a whole.

S.Simon - only has to pay $150 - a pittance for the privelege!

Capt. Neal

Pockets of Resistance

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:36:48 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

S.Simon - only has to pay $150 - a pittance for the privelege!

I've only been reading this group for a day, and you have all the
earmarks of a troll, but I'll bite. Do you really think that someone
who can afford a boat in excess of thirty feet is going to balk at a
mere $300 permit? What is that, like a few meals and a couple of
nights in a hotel for a family of four? Hell, I spent that much on a
printer. If I lived on the right coast and wanted to sail the
Bahamas, the extra hundred fifty wouldn't slow me down at all.
Jeff Morris

You're right, this will have no affect on the high roller, nor will it deter the cruiser
on a once-in-a-lifetime sabbatical. However, the working stiff who likes to take his
Carver 36 over to Bimini a few weekends a month will find paying this for every trip an
excessive burden. Add to this the extra hassle of returning to the States, and they'll be
a lot fewer weekend trips.

wrote:

S.Simon - only has to pay $150 - a pittance for the privelege!

I've only been reading this group for a day, and you have all the
earmarks of a troll, but I'll bite. Do you really think that someone
who can afford a boat in excess of thirty feet is going to balk at a
mere $300 permit? What is that, like a few meals and a couple of
nights in a hotel for a family of four? Hell, I spent that much on a
printer. If I lived on the right coast and wanted to sail the
Bahamas, the extra hundred fifty wouldn't slow me down at all.

katysails

I've only been reading this group for a day, and you have all the
earmarks of a troll, but I'll bite. Do you really think that someone
who can afford a boat in excess of thirty feet is going to balk at a
mere $300 permit?

You are excused from not knowing since you are such a newbie...$300 is =
Neal's grocery money for a whole year...He sails an ancient Coronado and =
his regular port of call is an immersed engine block from an old truck =
somewhere in the swamp below Homestead....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Lady Pilot

"Simple Simon" wrote:
Dear Group,
Good going you Bahamians, protect your beautiful little country
from those who would abuse the environment and overstay
their welcome. Make 'em pay and pay dearly for their lack
of respect for your country and the environment as a whole.

S.Simon - only has to pay $150 - a pittance for the privelege!

Capt. Neal

I can fly there any day of the week, more than a few times a day for
free.

What's the "big deal", Neal. It's surely not the Bahamas...

LP (beginning to wonder if it's worth going sooo slow, when one can
arrive there promptly without any fret...)

Lady Pilot

wrote:

S.Simon - only has to pay $150 - a pittance for the privelege!

I've only been reading this group for a day, and you have all the
earmarks of a troll, but I'll bite. Do you really think that

someone
who can afford a boat in excess of thirty feet is going to balk at a
mere $300 permit? What is that, like a few meals and a couple of
nights in a hotel for a family of four?

LOL! Very funny! Try a Motel 6 for a lonely man and an old cat...

LP (not too often, either)
Hell, I spent that much on a
printer. If I lived on the right coast and wanted to sail the
Bahamas, the extra hundred fifty wouldn't slow me down at all.

James

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Dear Group,

Blah,Blah,Blah

Capt. Neal

You are indeed.... Cheap.

katysails

Ouch, Katy! You need to trim your nails...
It's like this...most creatures, when slashed, back away and learn their =
lesson. Then there are those few that keep coming back for more. Why =
should I disappoint them? Neal is one flayed doggie....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM
GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Ganz is a forger - Film at 11. Jonathan Ganz ASA 25 August 9th 03 03:38 AM