Jonathan Ganz

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

Oh please. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I think I'll post whatever I want to post.

While the M isn't the best boat out there, it's more a factor of
who's sailing it and for what purpose than it's obviously lacking
quality.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Yep. It says you have no idea what the differences are,
and you're an idiot.

What is the point of this, Jonathan? I think we all agree that the Mac26

is a
poor sailing boat and that Jim would probably do better to reaccess his

needs
and limitations before buying one.
There's a Mac26X at my club. The two owners appear to be very unhappy with

it.
Perhaps it's not "the boat." I've asked them about it and they seem none

excited to "brag" about it as most owners do. Whenever I show various

boats to
interested folks, the mac always brings about something like "What the

hell is
that?" Few are impressed. My Hoover has nicer lines.

RB

JAXAshby

joony wrote:

While the M isn't the best boat out there, it's more a factor of
who's sailing it and for what purpose than it's obviously lacking
quality.

what joony is saying is that given his skills the Mac is a better boat than he
is a sailor.

kinda sad, that is.

Bobsprit

While the M isn't the best boat out there, it's more a factor of
who's sailing it and for what purpose than it's obviously lacking
quality.

The Mac is a horriblly cheap boat. To say it isn't "the best boat out there" is
overselling it in the extreme.

RB

Bobsprit

Oh please. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

What does this have to do with the subject at hand? Are you supporting the
Mac26X as a viable vessel?

RB
Bobsprit

Better still, Jonathan...can you explain to us under what circumstances YOU
would buy a Mac26X?
I can't think of ANY for myself. I'd rather have a sailboat or a
powerboat...never the Mac.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

No. I can't. Perhaps if I was stupid like Jax....

Again, I'm talking about the M, which doesn't have the huge engine
as is a "sailboat" not a horrible compromise.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Better still, Jonathan...can you explain to us under what circumstances

YOU
would buy a Mac26X?
I can't think of ANY for myself. I'd rather have a sailboat or a
powerboat...never the Mac.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Not at all. I think the X version are trash. The M isn't as bad as
that and is capable of sailing on the bay (for example) without
compromising one's safety. It's a different boat.
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Oh please. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

What does this have to do with the subject at hand? Are you supporting the
Mac26X as a viable vessel?

RB

Jim Cate

The "M" model has a new deep V- hull, an adjustable dagger board keel,
a rotatable mast, additional layers of fiberglass in the hull, SS chain
plates, partial fixed lead ballast, and a number of other changes. -
Whether these changes bring the boat up to acceptable off-shore sailing
standards or not, they ARE substantive differences relative to the
previous model. From discussing the boat with owners and previous
owners, it seems that it's speed and handling under both sail and motor
are significantly improved relative to the previous model. It is
apparently 20-30% faster under similar sails than the X model, and the
deep V hull seems to slice through waves smoothly with little braking or
bouncing, based on the video of the two boats.

My point is not that I know or have evidence to the effect that the M
model is a good sailing and/or motoring vessel. Not at all. It's that,
if we are going to give any consideration whatsoever to the most
fundamental principles of logic, reasoning, clear thinking, etc., then
those who criticize the new boat should preface their remarks by saying
"Jim, to be truthful, I haven't sailed the boat, and I haven't talked to
anyone who has, so actually you should understand that I really don't
know what the Hell I'm talking about."

In the interest of logic and rationality and intellectual honesty, I
think this would clear up most of the confusion and obfuscation that has
been involved in this discussion.

Jim

s I'vefor example,