Jonathan Ganz

Default Lifelines

Actually, I've done that several times, even in the bay. It can get pretty
rough.
Certainly off the coast also.

"John Cairns" wrote in message
So, when you go forward you crawl on your hands and knees? You really need
to spend some time offshore Bob.
John Cairns
"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will

catch you
RB

John Cairns

That was a rhetorical flourish. I've never thought of lifelines as a primary
safety item, mainly for the reason that they won't keep you on the boat if
push comes to shove. Last summer when we were doing the feeder race for Bay
Week I went under the lifelines up to my thighs on the bow of the J-33. If I
had been unfortunate enough to be unconscious at the time I would have keep
right on going. The stanchion was the grip of last resort at the time. And
of course I have gone forward in a crouch when conditions merited it. My
point was, and remains, they are not an important safety item for the
primary reason that they will not keep you on the boat in the types of
conditions you're referring to, and thinking of them as such is silly and
naive. Even relying on them in moderate conditions would be hubris at best.
John Cairns

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and

will
catch you
RB

Bobsprit

My
point was, and remains, they are not an important safety item for the
primary reason that they will not keep you on the boat in the types of
conditions you're referring to

John, you just said that the lines saved you from going overboard. No safety
item will save your life under all conditions. But lifelines can be an
important factor as you've just shown. You WERE conscous and the lines kept you
aboard. They've done the same for me twice. As I said, that's more than my fire
extinguishers have done!
Every safety item on a boat contributes and should be given equal care and
respect, from life lines to a flare gun. They are ALL primary safety measures.
That's a smart philosphy that every boater should follow. Anything less leads
to neglect and a level of safety is lost or comrpomised.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Probably right, but people do use them for balance. I don't have any on
my boat, so it's not an issue. On the boats on which I teach, I make sure
people are crouching or crawling if they have to go forward in bad
conditions.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and

will
catch you
RB

Jonathan Ganz

Jackass, sounds like you have plenty of experience on your knees.
Thanks for the advice.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and

will
catch you
RB

Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM