Donal

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:50:59 +1100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

I just used my account with BOC to rent industrial cylinders of
LPG instead. Always a way.

Yep, you can get around the rules.
In a normal situation the gas supplier will not fill or exchange on
site cylinders without seeing the compliance plate.
Hell they're so pedantic that you can show them the paperwork but if
there's no plate attached, and legible, they go away.

Please tell me that I haven't understood what both of you have written.

Do you need to show some sort of certificate just to buy a cylinder of gas
for your boat?

Regards

Donal

Donal

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:14:22 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:15:15 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:
Token gay?

Definitely not. You have my personal guarantee on that!

And you know this how?

How predictable? Don't you agree?

Well actually I was gonna ask if you'd put the hard word on him
but I thought that indelicate

"Hard word" doesn't translate into English, I'm afraid. What does it mean?

Regards

Donal

Donal

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:06:58 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

Well actually I was gonna ask if you'd put the hard word on him
but I thought that indelicate

"Hard word" doesn't translate into English, I'm afraid. What does it

mean?

How can I put this delicately.....You didn't ask him for a bit?.....

I don't think so.

Thankfully, he isn't Australian, so there wasn't any unfortunate
misunderstanding!!

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley

In article ,
The_navigator© wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

[snip]

Did Bill Tilman have a seaworthy boat? Would it have passed your NZ
compliance rules?

It sure *looked* like a good seaworthy boat. Don't forget the safety
inspection includes the abilities of the skipper.

Hmmm, that's basically an avoidance answer. Would Tilman's boat have
passed the NZ compliance rules or not? It's a really simple question.

Peter Wiley
Peter Wiley

In article , Donals Dilemma
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:50:59 +1100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

Seaworthiness as defined by the NZ govt inspectors..... ? Heh. Matter
of ticking the right boxes, as you've pointed out WRT a perfectly safe
LPG install that they wouldn't pass.

BTW I did my own LPG instaln on my NSW country place. I'm a certified
welder in oxy, stick, MIG & TIG and my FIL is all the above plus
refrigeration. Hasn't leaked in 15 years but it still doesn't meet code
because neither of us had the magic bit of paper. Fortunately I didn't
care, I just used my account with BOC to rent industrial cylinders of
LPG instead. Always a way.

Yep, you can get around the rules.
In a normal situation the gas supplier will not fill or exchange on
site cylinders without seeing the compliance plate.

Which is why I just used my industrial gas account. All BOC care about
is whether you pay the bill or not and lots of people do oxy-LPG
cutting.

Hell they're so pedantic that you can show them the paperwork but if
there's no plate attached, and legible, they go away.

I had my LPG pipework done by a licensed gasfitter here in Tas (guy was
an ex-AAD expeditioner). He told me not to bother renting bottles if
all I was running was a stove (which I am). Just go buy 2 9kg LPG
cylinders and use them. No bottle rental, no hassles, plenty of running
time.

Worked for me, so I have a legal installation but don't bother with the
paperwork anyway. As you say, always a way....

Peter Wiley

In article , Donals Dilemma
wrote:

wrote:

I just used my account with BOC to rent industrial cylinders of
LPG instead. Always a way.

Yep, you can get around the rules.
In a normal situation the gas supplier will not fill or exchange on
site cylinders without seeing the compliance plate.
Hell they're so pedantic that you can show them the paperwork but if
there's no plate attached, and legible, they go away.

Please tell me that I haven't understood what both of you have written.

Do you need to show some sort of certificate just to buy a cylinder of gas
for your boat?

No!
for a boat you need a cylinder that has been tested and stamped no
less than 10 years ago. After that it need to be retested or replaced.
It MUST be galvanised for marine use so it's economical to retest and
have a new valve fitted.
In a fixed/home/commercial installation, a compliance plate needs to
be fixed near the cylinder before it will be installed/replaced or
refilled.

Right. Basically cylinders fall into 2 categories. 9kg & less, you can
own and get filled anywhere without paperwork, as Oz says, long as
they're in test. The big cylinders - 45kg - are used for
domestic/industrial supply of LPG and if they're for a fixed
installation (house for example) the pipework has to be done by a
licensed gasfitter and it's illegal for the supplier to rent bottles to
you if you don't have the paperwork/compliance plate. It's also illegal
to do your own gas pipework for reticulated town gas, BTW, and for good
reason - lotta idiots and the people they kill will probably not
include themselves, unfortunately.

My situation, I have an account with an industrial gas supplier for
oxygen, acetylene, argon, carbon dioxide etc for welding/cutting. Easy
to add LPG to the list of bottles I rent. IIRC the price was actually a
bit less than the domestic supplier as well.

PDW
Scott Vernon

My vessel is Bayworthy.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

Simple Simon

Beats "Alien" which is only dockworthy.

S.Simon

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
My vessel is Bayworthy.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

Peter Wiley

You could offer an informed opinion. We all know you're not shy of
doing so on any other concievable subject. Or you could post the list
of 'must have' equipment/features that your Govt requires for allowing
you guys to sail offshore (or a link to them, I've lost the original
post) and we can judge for ourselves.

PDW

In article ,
The_navigator© wrote:

Since it's not available for my inspection how can I say?

Cheers MC

Logo contest! Skip Gundlach Cruising 25 June 1st 04 08:56 PM
Norwegian cargo vessel hitting ------ P.C. Boat Building 7 January 27th 04 03:42 PM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon ASA 149 October 22nd 03 04:08 AM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM