The_navigator©

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donal wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:50:08 +1300, The_navigator©

wrote:

The question is, to you
have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

I suspect that my boat is "seaworthy" in the same sense that Ella is.

Has your boat been inspected?

No, I don't have a strom jib.

I have a spinnaker that can be flown in up to 34kts! Does that count?

Ever tried it in 34 knots?

Cheers MC

felton

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:49:29 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

felton wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:41:57 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

What's the use of it there?

Cheers MC

Well, as I sail on a lake I probably don't need one at all, but it is
a handy thing to have if the weather looks iffy. It is surprising how
well a boat can move with a flat little blade and a double reefed
main. Although I keep a 110 on the furler, I would be the first to
admit that you can't get any sort of acceptable sailshape by reefing a
furling headsail. At least I have never have.

Quite so. When using the roller furler, with a padded luff I can get an
OK shape if I furl my #2 by no more than 10%. This extends the useful
wind range by about 5 knots but no more IMHO. If I was planning more
extensive off shore cruising I would love twin headstays, but I mostly
use the foil with #1, #2 jenoas and a #3 blade.

Cheers MC

I have always been a bit perplexed and amused that so many sailors
only have one headsail and it is almost invariably a 150 around here.
Things get pretty ugly when the wind picks up, but the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop

Donal

Donals Dilemma wrote in message

You sail in the Channel and don't have a storm jib?
Better check your life insurance, most won't pay up on suicide :-)

A 34kt spinnaker....and then...

..... spare halyards, snap-shackels(sp?), and a hard hat for the bowman!!

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

All lockers and hatches can be dogged in place. Everything
should stay put even in a knockdown or rollover.

I don't have a single sideband transceiver. In my opinion it is
not necessary on a small cruiser. A good short-wave radio with
single sideband receiving capabilities is good enough. I have
a Grundig Yachtboy. One learns by listening not by running
one's mouth.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...
I'm sure you vessel would be recognised for it's state of preparedness!
I bet you have everything properly stowed and tied down too in case of
knockdown. I'd like to hear about your provisions for emergency steerage
and rudder loss. Also, do you have SSB and a radio operators licence?

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

My vessel is seaworthy. I would get really ****ed if I had sailed
to NZ and some fool bureaucrat tried to tell me my vessel was
not seaworthy. The very fact that the bureaucrat was looking
at it proves him wrong.

I have a storm jib and a storm trysail. I have a 75% jib and
double reefing on the mainsail. All my sails are relatively new
and the storm sails have very little use so they are still strong
and sound.

My vessel has all new standing rigging and positive flotation.
I don't need some nerdy bureaucrat snooping around demanding
fees for 'services' which are not wanted or needed.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...

It seems to me that there is not much idea around here as to what
constitutes seaworthiness. Here in NZ the conditions are more
challenging than in many other places and to sail offshore requires
great attention to detail and sound knowlege of your vessel. Many people
here might consider their vessels "seaworthy", but let me remind you
that seworthiness is a state of preparedness and safely for major
passages and suitabiliuty for storm conditions.

Here in NZ we have to get vessels inspected every 2 years for their
seaworthiness and without a CAT1 clearance the vessel is not allowed to
leave (if owned by a NZ resident). The inspection takes up to ~2 hours
and the inspector also questions the skipper on hisd seamanship (it
helps if you already have qualifications like Ocean yactmaster or even
Coastal skipper) for it is also the application his knowlege that makes
the vessel seaworthy (or not). In many cases vessel arrive here from
overseas which are patently unseaworthy and these days they are allowed
to leave -after a strong talking to by the inspector as to why their
vessels are unsuitable and what will likely happen to them in bad
conditions. For that reason, it would seem that many US and EU vessels
arrive but never leave.

When the real sailor thinks about his vessel he thinks about how she
will cope if hit by storm force winds in the open sea if he wishes to
call his vessel seaworthy. If the vessel is not seworthy then it is just
a toy for amusement on nice fair wind days. The question is, to you
have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

Cheers MC

Simple Simon

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:14:13 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

You can bolt taht all in place in a seaway in adverse conditions
without falling over the side?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Simple Simon

The outboard has a twenty inch shaft and the cutaway
in the transom is only about a foot above the water.
The motor stays in the water pretty well. Remember
there is a pretty nice stern wave when making way
through he water.

Not the aluminum windsurfer masts. They are pretty crush proof.

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:32:26 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

I didn't know that they built outboards with shafts long enough to
stay in the water as the boat pitches thruogh a wild sea....when most
rudders break.

And your OB doesn't look unusually long, must be the camera angle eh
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Sheshines.html

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

So you don't know anything about the mechanical properties of a
windsurfer mast either.....they crush easily...

S.Simon

wrote:

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

You can bolt taht all in place in a seaway in adverse conditions
without falling over the side?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

katysails

the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop

Definition of a Catalina sailor....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Logo contest! Skip Gundlach Cruising 25 June 1st 04 08:56 PM
Norwegian cargo vessel hitting ------ P.C. Boat Building 7 January 27th 04 03:42 PM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon ASA 149 October 22nd 03 04:08 AM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM