felton

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:49:29 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

felton wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:41:57 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

What's the use of it there?

Cheers MC

Well, as I sail on a lake I probably don't need one at all, but it is
a handy thing to have if the weather looks iffy. It is surprising how
well a boat can move with a flat little blade and a double reefed
main. Although I keep a 110 on the furler, I would be the first to
admit that you can't get any sort of acceptable sailshape by reefing a
furling headsail. At least I have never have.

Quite so. When using the roller furler, with a padded luff I can get an
OK shape if I furl my #2 by no more than 10%. This extends the useful
wind range by about 5 knots but no more IMHO. If I was planning more
extensive off shore cruising I would love twin headstays, but I mostly
use the foil with #1, #2 jenoas and a #3 blade.

Cheers MC

I have always been a bit perplexed and amused that so many sailors
only have one headsail and it is almost invariably a 150 around here.
Things get pretty ugly when the wind picks up, but the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop