Peter Wiley

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

In article , Donals Dilemma
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:50:59 +1100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

Seaworthiness as defined by the NZ govt inspectors..... ? Heh. Matter
of ticking the right boxes, as you've pointed out WRT a perfectly safe
LPG install that they wouldn't pass.

BTW I did my own LPG instaln on my NSW country place. I'm a certified
welder in oxy, stick, MIG & TIG and my FIL is all the above plus
refrigeration. Hasn't leaked in 15 years but it still doesn't meet code
because neither of us had the magic bit of paper. Fortunately I didn't
care, I just used my account with BOC to rent industrial cylinders of
LPG instead. Always a way.

Yep, you can get around the rules.
In a normal situation the gas supplier will not fill or exchange on
site cylinders without seeing the compliance plate.

Which is why I just used my industrial gas account. All BOC care about
is whether you pay the bill or not and lots of people do oxy-LPG
cutting.

Hell they're so pedantic that you can show them the paperwork but if
there's no plate attached, and legible, they go away.

I had my LPG pipework done by a licensed gasfitter here in Tas (guy was
an ex-AAD expeditioner). He told me not to bother renting bottles if
all I was running was a stove (which I am). Just go buy 2 9kg LPG
cylinders and use them. No bottle rental, no hassles, plenty of running
time.

Worked for me, so I have a legal installation but don't bother with the
paperwork anyway. As you say, always a way....