Bobsprit

Default New Handheld....again!

Well, the replaced Simrad had a faulty charger!!! What is it with BoatUS and
West Marine? I even noticed that the last unit returned was back on the "Sale"
table. I guess they just want to move stuff out the door and don't care if it
works or not.

I complained about all the driving and they credited me the full price of the
Simrad, meaning I paid 11 dollars for the new radio...An Icom M1V. Very nice
unit...looks like this...

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...s/icom_m1v.gif

Well, it was this years top pick in Practical Sailor and several other
publications. I nearly bought the tiny Uniden, but I was told that they have
problems and weak reception compared to the Icom. Only other choices were the
tiny Icom and Horizons, which were not rated as well and felt too small. Of the
micro VHF's the Uniden felt best. So I played it safe and ended up with a good
radio! And no battery memory!

RB
Martin Baxter

Bobsprit wrote:

Well, the replaced Simrad had a faulty charger!!! What is it with BoatUS and
West Marine? I even noticed that the last unit returned was back on the "Sale"
table. I guess they just want to move stuff out the door and don't care if it
works or not.

I complained about all the driving and they credited me the full price of the
Simrad, meaning I paid 11 dollars for the new radio...An Icom M1V. Very nice
unit...looks like this...

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...s/icom_m1v.gif

I got one of them this summer, great little radio.
I particulary liked the ease of setting up scanning
and double or triple watch.

Cheers
Marty

PS I got it for free!
Bobsprit

PS I got it for free!

Well, mine was a gift from Suzanne...not exactly free of course...but close
enough.
I don't like the dual volume/squelch control, but otherwise it appears superior
to the other units I looked at. I considered the tiny standard and Icom models,
but as I had read, they lacked sufficient volume. The little Uniden tempted me,
but the "name" scared me off.

RB
Martin Baxter

Bobsprit wrote:

PS I got it for free!

Well, mine was a gift from Suzanne...not exactly free of course...but close
enough.
I don't like the dual volume/squelch control, but otherwise it appears superior
to the other units I looked at. I considered the tiny standard and Icom models,
but as I had read, they lacked sufficient volume. The little Uniden tempted me,
but the "name" scared me off.

RB

Don't worry Bob, I used the thing to talk to the US coasties
from over twenty miles to help out an idiot that ran a Hughs 38 onto
a shoal, I guess he didn't understand why they put those red or green
things in the water.

Like I say it's great radio, as for reception it's just great for having
a 9" rubber duck antenna, what do you expect? Just in case my primary set
goes south I have an SMA to UHF adapter that allows me to connect the little
radio to the mast antenna. You know it's certified water proof to a depth of
1 meter for 30 minutes? Runs for better than 18 hours on the supplied NIMh
battery pack, IMHO it's the best buy for the bucks on the market.

Cheers
Marty
Bobsprit

Just in case my primary set
goes south I have an SMA to UHF adapter that allows me to connect the little
radio to the mast antenna. You know it's certified water proof to a depth of
1 meter for 30 minutes? Runs for better than 18 hours on the supplied NIMh
battery pack, IMHO it's the best buy for the bucks on the market.

I wonder about that JS-7 rating and if the radio could really handle a solid
dunking. I like the 500 mw setting for talking to boats across the anchroage.
I'll have to pick up an adapter for the mast antenna, though I already carry a
spare fixed mount radio.
If the Icom M1V is the best buy, what is the best radio period?

RB

Bobsprit

from over twenty miles to help out an idiot that ran a Hughs 38 onto
a shoal,

Pretty S&S boat...hope it wasn't the blue one at my club!

RB
Scott Vernon

Did they pull you off, or call a towboat?

Scotty

"Martin Baxter" wrote

Don't worry Bob, I used the thing to talk to the US coasties
from over twenty miles to help out an idiot that ran a Hughs 38 onto
a shoal, I guess he didn't understand why they put those red or green
things in the water.

Martin Baxter

Scott Vernon wrote:

Did they pull you off, or call a towboat?

Scotty

Har Har! Actually I think he got stuck when he foolishly decided
to overtake a Siedleman on the port side.......

Cheers
Marty
Martin Baxter

Bobsprit wrote:

If the Icom M1V is the best buy, what is the best radio period?

RB

Handheld, VHF, SSB... ?

Cheers
Marty
Bobsprit

RB

Handheld, VHF, SSB... ?

Handheld VHF. What's better than than icom M1V without observing price?

RB